Range Cooker recommedations

Options

Comments

• april89
    april89 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone have any experience with Belling or Stoves cookers? These seem to be around the 'mid range' price point as well.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally, I would try to get it fixed, would that maybe cost a hundred quid?

We have a Rangemaster 110 all electric with induction hob.
    We don't really like the induction - over priced nonsense says SWMBO
    Also the top left grill is a joke really - only heats half of the area, door doesn't fold all the way down so you can't put anything semi-liquid in there (to brown the top) as some stuff runs out.

Stick with what you have for a good while then learn what you really want!
  • april89
    april89 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know whether it's possible to replace the whole hob on a range cooker? We did look at getting it repaired but Stoves no longer support the model, providing no spares nor any readily available manual (we eventually got a manual after emailing them a couple of times but it's very basic with no maintenence information). As three of the four ceramic plates have already caused us problems if we did a fix/repair then we would probably choose to do all of them together but if we end up needing to spend a few hundred pounds on parts and an engineer to do this might me as well buy new, or consider a higher range model second hand? We did look to see if we could take it apart ourselves but we can't see how this can be done and Stoves were definitely not willing to give us this information!
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    avoid baumatic - a brand new one came with our house and it has required multiple repairs over the past 7 years. We will be replacing it imminently (and intend to go for a stoves brand model).
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Clairabella
    Options
    I had a Rangemaster Elan duel fuel. It served me well for 12 years with no faults, it looked good and felt solid enough but, I hated it! The gas hobs were a pain to clean, I found bending down to the ovens, to cook and clean, difficult and, having no oven windows, they had to be constantly opened to view the food.
    If you have no choice but to have a range, I would consider having a halogen hob (I have one now, it is just as adjustable as gas and is a breeze to clean). Think about having a glass door in at least one of the ovens. My range was black, it looked great however, it was time consuming to keep it clean - every spec of dust, every finger print and every cooking splash showed up. Cream ones might be more forgiving.
  • Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310 Forumite
    Options
    Grrrr, Rangemaster! We 'inherited' ours when we bought the house. Too many seams and nooks for dirt to lodge in and there's not enough room between gas rings to accommodate multiple pots. Which muppet designed the wretched thing??! We found a nut and washer lying on the floor and turns out to have come off the cooker, with no way to get them back on other than lifting the entire cooker. We now have a wonky storage drawer. Biggest annoyance was when the hot plate went. Customer service was a joke, failing to order parts and generally messing us around. Can't wait to get rid of the thing.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive had my a Rangemaster for four years now and I LOVE it....so I think it depends on taste....it has two electric ovens and five gas rings (though I know the poster wanted all elec). If I had one fault it is the electric grill as it's too small to cook anything underneath except toast, as sauasges etc tooch the elements and burn
  • bijouinnuendo
    Options
    We moved in last February and the previous owner took their range master with them and left us a large hole:-)

We bought the stoves Richmond 1100 induction and I have not been able to fault it. The hob is extremely responsive I actually think it boils faster than my previous gas one. There are 5 rings - one huge one. We did have to replace all our pans but this can be done relatively cheaply - we bought our new ones from Sainsbury. There are 2 full sized ovens and a separate grill/top oven. It also has what they call a slow cooker but as yet I have never used it as I use the cavity to store my baking trays. HTH
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kippers wrote: »
    If I had one fault it is the electric grill as it's too small to cook anything underneath except toast, as sauasges etc tooch the elements and burn

Take the rack out of the grill pan
    Put some tinfoil in the bottom of the pan
    Replace the rack upside down.

Job's a good un!
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Take the rack out of the grill pan
    Put some tinfoil in the bottom of the pan
    Replace the rack upside down.

Job's a good un!

Tried that but we had flames coming out the vents at the back as the fat was spitting everywhere as the meat was so near the elements still.....i do miss my old fashioned eye level grill but it certainly didnt look as nice lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure