Tesco Savings DDs

Options

Comments

• DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 January 2018 at 10:49AM
    Options
    I currently have some charity/political donations coming out of a single account. I'm just going to change that to be multiple donations of £1 for accounts that need it, e.g. Halifax Reward, M&S and Barclays Blue Rewards. My Tesco and Nationwide accounts don't need DDs so they're fine.

Something that might be useful to others is credit cards. I have three 0% credit cards right now, and I only use one of them. So theoretically I can move the monthly DDs for the two "dormant" ones to another account and set up a standing order for whatever the minimum payment is (which will only decrease as long as I don't use the card).
  • Over62
    Over62 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Something that might be useful to others is credit cards. I have three 0% credit cards right now, and I only use one of them. So theoretically I can move the monthly DDs for the two "dormant" ones to another account and set up a standing order for whatever the minimum payment is (which will only decrease as long as I don't use the card).

Yes, I'm making use of unused credit cards. I make one low value purchase a month on each of them which generates the direct debit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat as lots on here with current accounts which need replacement DDs for when Tesco comes to an end. I'm trying to set up new ones for myself and a relative and between us we need quite a few.

I've tried reading this thread but it's so long and wondered if anyone would mind sharing some tips for new Savings accounts I could open with a DD facility - over and above those I've found (below)? I appreciate people don't want to highlight accounts here so happy for a private message.

Ones I've already gleaned from this account are Ecology BS (only allows one DD) and Post Office (again, only one DD).

Seen Egg/YBS but that seems not to be available to new account holders.

Struggling to find others. Would prefer savings accounts as opposed to having to use a credit card. Grateful for any advice.

Here's a couple of suggestions which are working for me:-

Check your local credit unions websites. CU's are usually locally based and will accept you for a savings account based on your postcode. In my area I have found two credit unions which both accept monthly DDs into their savings accounts. Each would accept as low as £1 per month but I've made each £10 per month so as not to take the p##s.

Sign up online with Park Christmas Savings Club. Buy a £10 store gift card for Xmas 2018 and pay by monthly DD at £1 per month starting January 2018 until October 2018. Repeat then (for Xmas 2019). You get the card when you've paid in full. Note:- no FSCS protection on your money so only buy the minimum necessary. A misuse of the Park system but frankly I'm not losing any sleep over it.
  • savetilibleed
    savetilibleed Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The main accounts I don't want to lose are the 3 BoS vantage accounts. I presently use Tesco for these. I need to find 6 different monthly DDs for this purpose. I've got 4 I can move but I'm struggling to find another 2 that pay absolutely every month. Water and council tax don't (which I could move from Santander123 and close that). I also will have to lose my YBank and Halifax Reward for the same reason as I can't find regular DDs to replace. I could get one more with a SW account I suppose but it means keeping £100 there doing nearly nothing.

Could do Paypal but it looks like you can't pull money now. Thought you could.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The main accounts I don't want to lose are the 3 BoS vantage accounts. I presently use Tesco for these. I need to find 6 different monthly DDs for this purpose. I've got 4 I can move but I'm struggling to find another 2 that pay absolutely every month. Water and council tax don't (which I could move from Santander123 and close that). I also will have to lose my YBank and Halifax Reward for the same reason as I can't find regular DDs to replace. I could get one more with a SW account I suppose but it means keeping £100 there doing nearly nothing.

Most councils will allow you to pay in 12 instalments rather than 10. Have you asked yours?

Apparently my water company also offer the facility but I have to wait for my next bill before I can set the DDs up. Does yours do the same?

What about a credit card? I'm resurrecting unused cards:o
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    What about a credit card? I'm resurrecting unused cards:o
    My 0% purchase Tesco Clubcard is now set up and working a treat. Some expensive dental work and ongoing Tesco delivery will give me 30 months or so of £25 hassle free minimum payments and some Clubcard points into the bargain
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    My 0% purchase Tesco Clubcard is now set up and working a treat. Some expensive dental work and ongoing Tesco delivery will give me 30 months or so of £25 hassle free minimum payments and some Clubcard points into the bargain

I haven't (yet) resorted to opening new cards but will consider.

I still have a Barclaycard with a healthy credit limit which is so old it isn't reported to CRAs:). I managed to resuscitate an unused PO Money credit card weeks before threatened closure.

Just have to remember to make a purchase on each of the 3 non cashback cards every month. _pale_
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    Options

I'm dumping BoS Vantage. 2% is pretty useless, I'm just going to trickle more money into my S&S ISA and put more in my pension once it gets to the point that my 3-5% accounts are full. If I have to resort to 2% accounts, I might as well just overpay my mortgage instead. Much less hassle and it is barely worth it to jump through so many hoops at that point.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I also will have to lose my YBank and Halifax Reward for the same reason as I can't find regular DDs to replace.
    Why do you need DDs paying out at Yorkshire Bank?
  • savetilibleed
    Options
    Why do you need DDs paying out at Yorkshire Bank?
    Come to think of it, perhaps I don't! I switched an account in about March last year to them for the £150 bonus. The old account had Tesco DDs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure