Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    redman693
    Landlord has run off with my deposit
    • 23rd Mar 09, 6:21 PM
    Landlord has run off with my deposit 23rd Mar 09 at 6:21 PM
    Hi

I was informed yesterday that my letting agent has been reported to the police for 'financial irregularites' it turns out he has been stealing the deposits of tennants and not paying landlords the rent. due to this he is now closed down and all the properties have been moved over to another franchise in the same organisation. After speaking to the new letting agents he told me that my depsit was one of the ones stolen and advised me to cancel the standing order for the rent. The tennacy agreement runs out at the end of this month and we have not renewed it as we were keen to move anyway before all this happened. My question is where do i stand legally if i cancel the standing order and stay for an extra month to reclaim what would have been my deposit and then move on at the end of april? i know it sounds quite immoral but i wont be able to move house without the deposit back from where i'm living now.
    HELP!!!

thanks
    Paul
Page 1
    • OlliesDad
    • By OlliesDad 23rd Mar 09, 6:31 PM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    OlliesDad
    • 23rd Mar 09, 6:31 PM
    • 23rd Mar 09, 6:31 PM
    If the new letting agents have advised that its ok to not pay i would make sure you get it all in writing to confirm it.

If they later disputed saying this and you do not pay the final months rent the letting agent would have to take you to court to reclaim the money, at this point they would also have to explain why they cant return your deposit. Therefore, i presume that it would be ok to hold onto the final payment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,425Posts Today

7,108Users online

Martin's Twitter