Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 15th Jan 20, 11:02 AM
    • 1,501Posts
    • 651Thanks
    Roger1
    Adding CDs purchased from Amazon to computer/phone/etc
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:02 AM
    Adding CDs purchased from Amazon to computer/phone/etc 15th Jan 20 at 11:02 AM
    Some time ago, I was able to add CDs I had bought from Amazon to my computer, now included in My Music on my Android phone and elsewhere.

I don't buy much in the form of hard products (CDs, DVDs) these days, but I recently bought some CDs. Try as I might, I can't work out how to add them to My Music. BTW, I now have Amazon Prime.

Can somebody more experienced please advise me how to do so? Thanks.
Page 1
    • MattWoodmead
    • By MattWoodmead 15th Jan 20, 11:27 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MattWoodmead
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:27 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:27 AM
    I haven't done it since moving to spotify but I remember there was an app to download.

Ah, I can't paste the link as I am too new to the forum - sorry.

But I found it by searching for Amazon Music App and there is a download for desktop. If your CDs are covered by their digital version deal then you should see them available to download. That's how it used to work.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 15th Jan 20, 3:21 PM
    • 8,321 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    almillar
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:21 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:21 PM
    If you've got the physical CDs, and they're not bought from Amazon as above, you need to rip them on to a computer. Hopefully you've still got a CD drive. You would have used an app on the computer like Windows Media Player or iTunes or something. Once you rip them, you've got .MP3 files, which you can do whatever you like with. Can you remember what app you used before?
    • googler
    • By googler 15th Jan 20, 5:28 PM
    • 15,437 Posts
    • 10,187 Thanks
    googler
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:28 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:28 PM
    CDs bought through Amazon often/always come with Autorip - you can go into your past purchases, order history, and download the tracks as mp3 files, so's you don't have to rip them yourself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G6N9QAN4WDBKAKPF

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GLKTE9VFZMCD7CKD

That will get them onto your PC, how you get them to phone or mp3 player will depend on those devices.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 16th Jan 20, 12:54 PM
    • 8,321 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    almillar
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:54 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:54 PM
    CDs bought through Amazon often/always come with Autorip

I think we're talking about CDs without this feature - it's mentioned above.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 17th Jan 20, 12:36 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 17th Jan 20, 12:36 PM
    • 17th Jan 20, 12:36 PM
    Thanks very much for the useful advice.

I've looked at the suggested solutions and been around the My Music Q&As again, without much success. The latter often tells me to first mark/highlight the albums I want to download to my equipment. But no matter where I look in My Music, I can't find the albums in question. If I check my Amazon purchases, I can't see how to Autorip.

One thing: the solutions suggested by Amazon require the albums to have been sold and shipped by Amazon. Well, that knocks out the Marketplace purchases. Not sure about Amazon EU - I would have expected that to be OK.

Also, I have come across this greyed out message:
    MUSIC STORAGE
    Amazon is retiring this service ...
    Amazon digital music purchases are stored for free.

Import up to 250 songs from your computer for free, including music purchased from iTunes®.
    You have imported 0 songs
    Import up to 250,000 songs for £21.99/year.
    I'm not sure whether this information is relevant to me. Apparently, my previous purchases amount to 210 songs, none from iTunes. Sorry, I don't remember how I did it, other than clicking on a link.

I'll try again later.
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 17th Jan 20, 1:04 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    Paradigm
    • 17th Jan 20, 1:04 PM
    • 17th Jan 20, 1:04 PM
    Windows Media Player will rip & convert cd's to MP3.... or it used too!

I haven't done it for a while but if I remember correctly it outputs the .WMA file by default so you have to go into settings to select MP3.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th Jan 20, 1:16 PM
    • 8,697 Posts
    • 8,595 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 17th Jan 20, 1:16 PM
    • 17th Jan 20, 1:16 PM
    ExactAudioCopy is what I currently use for CD ripping. (Used to use CDDB but stopped when an update was triggered by MBAM as being "dodgy").

Any ripping method assumes that the OP has a DVD drive on their laptop.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • googler
    • By googler 17th Jan 20, 1:28 PM
    • 15,437 Posts
    • 10,187 Thanks
    googler
    • 17th Jan 20, 1:28 PM
    • 17th Jan 20, 1:28 PM
    EAC is a free download, widely regarded as one of the best CD rippers.

Do you have an optical drive in a Windows PC?
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 18th Jan 20, 12:03 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Roger1
    Thanks again, folks.

I'm still learning how to use my new laptop. It has neither a DVD drive nor an optical drive. At least, only web results came up when I searched in the Windows box.

I see optical drives available for £12-25 online. Presumably DVD drives too. Hmm. Only I can decide whether they would be worthwhile. At this stage, the MP3 solution looks OK.
    • googler
    • By googler 18th Jan 20, 12:24 PM
    • 15,437 Posts
    • 10,187 Thanks
    googler
    I'm still learning how to use my new laptop. It has neither a DVD drive nor an optical drive.
    Originally posted by Roger1
    Find a friend or family member with one, and get them to rip for you?

Look for a local HiFi or audio enthusiast group in your area, make contact, befriend someone with the gear to do this for you?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th Jan 20, 2:01 PM
    • 35,622 Posts
    • 22,488 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Windows Media Player will rip & convert cd's to MP3.... or it used too!

I haven't done it for a while but if I remember correctly it outputs the .WMA file by default so you have to go into settings to select MP3.
    Originally posted by Paradigm
    It certainly still does rip CDs as I used it recently, easy to do OP.

If you want the music in your My Music folder you can either change the destination folder within Media player or just move across the ripped files from the destination folder to My Music.
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 18th Jan 20, 2:32 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    mksysb
    Thanks again, folks.

I'm still learning how to use my new laptop. It has neither a DVD drive nor an optical drive. At least, only web results came up when I searched in the Windows box.

I see optical drives available for £12-25 online. Presumably DVD drives too. Hmm. Only I can decide whether they would be worthwhile. At this stage, the MP3 solution looks OK.
    Originally posted by Roger1
    Just for your info, a DVD drive is an optical drive.
    https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/what-is-optical-drive.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

1,297Users online

Martin's Twitter