Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping

Options

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For a fiver??? Where do you shop, Harrods?
    I meant ... and nothing was there..I'd come home with the change.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • MavisTheMaven
    Options
    Smoosh wrote: »
    I'm finding YS shopping harder and harder each time I go shopping. Hardly ever anything left and the reductions seem to be 50% at best.

50% is still not to be sniffed at, though, cutting your food bill by 50% is pretty impressive, look at it that way.
    Grocery Challenge - February £100
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lady_Muck wrote: »
    50% is still not to be sniffed at, though, cutting your food bill by 50% is pretty impressive, look at it that way.

Oh yes, it's definitely better than paying full price! It's just a bit of a sore point when only a few months ago 90% reductions were easy to come by.

As it turns out, I had a really good reduced shop yesterday and one of those days where for £5 I did have bags and bags full! I suppose it depends on the day, and the timing, but it is certainly getting more difficult.
  • Mammy0f4
    Mammy0f4 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :)
    SAHM to 4 Little Monkeys
    Credit Card Debt Paid: £1,230.01/£4,875.00
    Emergency Fund: £200/£500
  • eagle_eye
    eagle_eye Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Lady_Muck wrote: »
    I also use the green stay fresh bags from Lakeland so any yellow sticker veg lasts much longer than it would if it wasn't in the bags, never have to chuck it away. Anyway, some things get cleared before they are even ripe! I have four rock solid avocados in here that I got a couple of days ago.

Many Thanks for that. I have ordered some.:)
  • ricky_v
    ricky_v Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    8:30pm Mondays is bread night rarely get breads for more than 10p, Thursdays 7:30pm is meat night about 1/6th of the original price is about as good as it's going to get, I only go to one shop however living on your own helps. Good bargains I've had in the past from the top of my head included Gressingham's duck legs £7 down to £1.20-odd, breads going for 2p, and last week fish from £1.20-odd to about 10p.

Like others I generally avoid getting bread for >10p (unless desperate), meats must be reduced more than 50%
  • Pamsy
    Pamsy Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Just returned from Morrisons having done my normal weekly shop, I usually go on a Saturday afternoon where you don't get much in the way of reductions but this evening I managed to get lots of bread rolls, packs of 4 multi grain for 15p, large whole multi grain loaf for 25p. There were lots of other things reduced but I resisted as I am trying to use up what's in my freezer.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My daddy is really good at getting bargains! I went through his fridge yesterday (for research purposes) and he'd got a pack of 2 large pork chops for 60p, some prawns for 10p, and some fish pieces (can't remember what kind of fish) for about 30p.

I went to Morrisons today and got some mushrooms for 60p - but they're not normal, boring mushrooms, they're some weird variety I haven't identified yet. They also had some brown crackly topped mushrooms for the same price, but I left those.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Eeyore2009
    Eeyore2009 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    75p for mussels in the shell in white wine sause in co op

spring greens for 35p

broccolli 55p

lamb shanks 55p - tesco
  • RustyBadge
    RustyBadge Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Went to Morrisons yesterday just in time for 2nd yellow sticker reductions: Got loads of stuff, they were struggling to reduce it by 5pm ... not many people about, therefore I got:

4 sizzle steaks = 99p
    2 large joints of topside beef = £2.65 each
    large gammon joint = £1.99
    large bag potatoes = 89p
    2 large pieces fish in batter = 99p
    caul cheese in large box = 65p
    chicken with stuffing in box = £1.59
    gammon with honey glaze in same type of box as chick = £1.59
    large Lurpack spread = £1.59
    2 packs prawns @ 65p each (the ones that you have to peel yourself)

... plus loads more

... Morrisons must be struggling !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport