What sort of HDMI cable do I need?

Options
I've just bought an LG Ultra HD TV and, before delivery, I am hoping I've got the correct connections. (Bought from Richer Sounds, on the advice of users on this site - thanks for that!).

Currently we have an 8 years old HD TV with a BluRay DVD recorder/player attached, as well as a 3rd generation Apple TV box. (We want to connect these two devices to the new TV).

In view of the fact that I am not a techie, will the HDMI cable we already use be sufficient or do I need something different? I wasn't sure if the fact that the new TV is 4K ultra makes any difference?
I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)

Comments

• ciderboy2009
    Options
    Your old leads will be fine.

Don't be tempted to buy expensive 'gold plated' and the like leads thinking that they will give you a better picture - they won't. An hdmi lead from a pound shop will give you the same picture quality as a £50 one.
  • Morbier
    Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Don't be tempted to buy expensive 'gold plated' and the like leads thinking that they will give you a better picture - they won't. An hdmi lead from a pound shop will give you the same picture quality as a £50 one.

Thank you. I think I'd read something about the gold-plated leads being a rip-off, but I wasn't sure if I needed anything specific for a 4K TV. With my lack of technical knowledge, I could easily be persuaded into buying something I don't need! So thanks for the info.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morbier wrote: »
    Thank you. I think I'd read something about the gold-plated leads being a rip-off, but I wasn't sure if I needed anything specific for a 4K TV. With my lack of technical knowledge, I could easily be persuaded into buying something I don't need! So thanks for the info.

There is no such thing as a HDMI cable for 4k. Simple as that.

The only time you might need a new cable is if the ones you have now are older than God's Dog, so to speak.

Please read the following article (aimed at American market but principle is the same):
    https://www.techhive.com/article/3330376/do-i-need-a-4k-hdmi-cable.html

"Gold plated HDMI" cables that carry price tags in the region of £50 (and may come in pretty packaging) are a fool's errand; you might as well pour money down the drain.
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options

The only caveat I would put on that is that more expensive cables usually have better build quality than the very cheapest Poundland variety and will probably tolerate more stress and strain.

But even that doesn't matter much unless you are regularly removing and refitting the cable, and most people fit them once and leave them there.

If you want something a bit better made than a Poundland cable, you don't need to pay £50.

I paid about £4 a cable for mine about eight years ago. I wanted something a bit more robust than a £1 cable as I do regularly swap them from device to device as I have more of them than inputs on my TV.

I fully agree that the picture and sound quality is no better than the £1 variety.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • Morbier
    Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a HDMI cable for 4k. Simple as that.

The only time you might need a new cable is if the ones you have now are older than God's Dog, so to speak.

Please read the following article (aimed at American market but principle is the same):
    https://www.techhive.com/article/3330376/do-i-need-a-4k-hdmi-cable.html

I've read the article, which was very useful - thank you. I shall definitely NOT be buying a new cable as the one I already have is only a few years old.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    "Gold plated HDMI" cables that carry price tags in the region of £50 (and may come in pretty packaging) are a fool's errand; you might as well pour money down the drain.
    See also speaker cable. Twin and earth from screwfix or your electrical wholesaler of choice will do the job just as well for a fraction of the price that some ask.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    We always use poundland HDMI cables.

With cables like that you are either connected or not, there is no in-between.

The only exception is if you need a longer cable, we installed a 10 metre cable for a client not so long ago and it was of a slightly better quality due to the length.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LG state that I need HDMI cables with Ethernet for my sound bar, not sure if this also applies to their TV's as well.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    Options
    nickcc wrote: »
    LG state that I need HDMI cables with Ethernet for my sound bar, not sure if this also applies to their TV's as well.
    I doubt it. Hardly anything actually uses Ethernet over HDMI.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    I doubt it. Hardly anything actually uses Ethernet over HDMI.

LG definitely show in their soundbar instruction manual pictures of three HDMI cables with a x over two of them and a tick ✅ over the one with Ethernet, they also state the same in the instructions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure