Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Options

Comments

• patrick0
    patrick0 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    It would be great to see a definitive answer on the time limit in the article.

I've just purchased budget airline tickets for Oct 2009 from an overseas airline and am concerned given the perilous nature of airlines at present.
  • Martyn_F_2
    Options
    I bought 10 tickets in advance from Speedferries at a special bulk price and they have now gone into receivership. I bought them on a credit card that I later canceled. Does Section 75 specifically require that I am still a card holder when I make the claim. I have all the details of the account.
  • Sloganjerry
    Options
    I bought built in wardrobes from MFI for over a thousand pounds and they were due to be delivered next Friday on the 5th December. I've just heard that MFI have gone bust:eek: ! Anyone advise what I should do now?

I paid with my American Express Card so I hope that I'm covered under section 75 although I don't really understand exactly what this means? There's no answer from my local store - they are probably avoiding all calls at present. Should I contact American Express? I'm very confused and very worried :eek: as I definitely can't afford to lose this sort of money. It was supposed to be the main xmas present for my daughter to have her own new bedroom. I don't know how I'm going to tell her:(

Any advice really appreciated guys. It makes you feel so insecure - I hear Woolworths has gone down too? I don't think I want to buy anything again unless I can take it away there and then.
  • KTM_Gordo
    Options
    I've just heard that MFI have gone bust:eek: ! Anyone advise what I should do now?
    Don't panic - they're going in to administration, not liquidation, and according to the BBC: "Some stores will continue to trade, but 26 will close. Existing orders will be either met or refunded", MFI said.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7750250.stm

HTH :)
  • Sloganjerry
    Options
    Thank you so much for trying to calm me down. :kisses3:
    I do feel a little less panicked now I've had some time to think. But I'm still a little worried as I read that the company that MFI use for their deliveries have also gone bust and that is why some customers haven't had their goods. Hopefully I will get my money back either from MFI or the credit card company but I am not hopeful of getting my wardrobes and I'll never find the same wardrobes as cheap as I did.

And even if I get my money back I have no idea how long it will take to do this. Anyway, I don't feel quite as bad as I did so thank you so much for your advice. This will certainly make me very much more cautious now.:think:
  • kagentscully
    Options
    Hi, I bought a new bed and wardrobes from MFI only two saturdays ago. I heard the bad news today and tried to phone MFI - no answer either! I then phoned my Halifax credit card who I luckily paid with, and they said straight away they would cover my costs and are sending me out a form to get my money back! :T Am nervous but hopeful it will all work out ok.

ps, when I phoned my same credit card company in june 08 because my flight was cancelled they said I could not claim money back on my credit card for flights as flights were exempt. Is that right because it doesnt seem so by what i've read about section 75? That was over a grand!! :confused:
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Martyn_F wrote: »
    I bought 10 tickets in advance from Speedferries at a special bulk price and they have now gone into receivership. I bought them on a credit card that I later canceled. Does Section 75 specifically require that I am still a card holder when I make the claim. I have all the details of the account.

No, they were still bought on credit, however, remember that each ticket has to cost at least £100. not the total costing more than £100.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Sloganjerry
    Options
    I've just seen that MFI have updated their website with customer information and there is a template of the letter that has been sent out to customers only today @ http://www.mfi.co.uk/customernotice.pdf

I managed to get through to my local store only after countless hours of trying to get through to customer services since yesterday afternoon. I know it says not to contact your local store but they were very helpful to be fair. They are obviously more worried about their future and whether they'll have a job next year and my worries about wardrobes are put into perspective against theirs.

Basically I was told what is already on the website, that as far as they know my order will be honoured if at all possible or money refunded. The gentleman I spoke to also said that the administrator was on their way that afternoon to price up the stock for a big sell off over the next few days. He expected the store to be open for the next week at least or until all the stock was sold. Poor man didn't know much more than that himself. What an awful situation!
  • Melanie_R
    Options
    Does Section 75 agreement / protection applies to credit agreements?
    I have been on a 12 month interst free agreement for a £7,000+ kitchen, however the company I brought it from is currently in administration and they owe me money for goods already returned to them? SO I no longer have the goods but do I have to pay the credit company for those items?
  • Martyn_F_2
    Options
    I did not express myself as clearly as I should. What I bought from Speedferries was a Flexi Voucher - this voucher allowed ten crossings on their ferry.

According to this web site " If the company links the transaction together, for example by giving a special offer if two flights are purchased together, then you should be covered."

I am hoping that this voucher will constitute a single purchase as the trips were not available at similar prices or conditions except with this voucher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure