eBay Item Never Received

Options

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Very accurate. GPS can take you right to the door.
    Its not officially declared but GPS is always on with the PDAs now(not just at point of scanning) so a posties entire route is GPS tracked.
    The old set up was only at scan point.

RM is pushing on with 'Safeplace'. PDAs have been updated to allow pictures to be taken when items are left in a safeplace.
    Technically items should only be left in a safeplace when it is officially printed on the label (Tracked products only) but you & I know it happens far more with multiple products.
    They have also tweaked the software to allow records of what neighbour items are left with.

Simple fact is its cheaper/less work for RM if items are 'delivered first time'.
    Callers offices,redeliveries etc cost time & money.

Thank you custardy, I like to keep up to date with the new changes so that I can adjust how I send things if necessary.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    girlchops wrote: »
    OP Have you checked with RM that it was scanned as delivered and signed for at your actual address?
    I read recently on another thread of a similar thing where it was signed for as delivered but at wrong address. I don't recall where the fault lay in that case but it's worth a shot especially if it was delivered to wrong address and not yours.
    I'll see if i can find the thread just in case there's something else useful there.

This is the thread: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5833016&highlight=address

...and what I posted at the time: Exact same thing happened to us just before christmas, although in our case we were on the other side of the situation. My GF signed for a few parcels, it was only after the delivery person (think it was RM but not sure) had gone that she noticed one of the parcels wasn't for us. It wasn't even our street, the correct address was a 5 minute walk away.

...so not an uncommon ocurrance unfortunately.
  • soolin
    Options
    This is the thread: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5833016&highlight=address

...and what I posted at the time: Exact same thing happened to us just before christmas, although in our case we were on the other side of the situation. My GF signed for a few parcels, it was only after the delivery person (think it was RM but not sure) had gone that she noticed one of the parcels wasn't for us. It wasn't even our street, the correct address was a 5 minute walk away.

...so not an uncommon ocurrance unfortunately.

As per the thread, GPS locates this to the correct address.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ontheup1972
    ontheup1972 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Very accurate. GPS can take you right to the door.
    Its not officially declared but GPS is always on with the PDAs now(not just at point of scanning) so a posties entire route is GPS tracked.
    The old set up was only at scan point.

RM is pushing on with 'Safeplace'. PDAs have been updated to allow pictures to be taken when items are left in a safeplace.
    Technically items should only be left in a safeplace when it is officially printed on the label (Tracked products only) but you & I know it happens far more with multiple products.
    They have also tweaked the software to allow records of what neighbour items are left with.

Simple fact is its cheaper/less work for RM if items are 'delivered first time'.
    Callers offices,redeliveries etc cost time & money.

It's good that the vague and dreaded "delivered to your address or to a neighbour" has gone because in my mind that left a big element of doubt whenever someone questioned their delivery.

Now the tracking says "delivered" which I presume means it has been delivered to the address - and as you said there, when it's delivered to a neighbour it now says "delivered to your neighbour" and tells you their house number, street and even the name of the recipient! :T
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's good that the vague and dreaded "delivered to your address or to a neighbour" has gone because in my mind that left a big element of doubt whenever someone questioned their delivery.

Now the tracking says "delivered" which I presume means it has been delivered to the address - and as you said there, when it's delivered to a neighbour it now says "delivered to your neighbour" and tells you their house number, street and even the name of the recipient! :T

Yes,it was a frustrating thing in deliveries to.
    You wanted a button to say delivered to neighbor.
    I'll be honest,with signature items I always put the house no. by the name before the sig.
    The logic being if someone asked me a week later the number would be on the tracking details
  • mrsc1964
    Options
    lindens wrote: »
    A long shot but have you been to the local sorting office in case it is sitting there? Also was a signature required? so is there a copy of this?
    Did the seller have the appropriate insurance and use the appropriate postage method for an item of £50
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I've been back and forth a few times to the sorting office. The problem is it is on the Royal Mail electronic system as "delivered". It was tracked, not signed for, so no signature was required. It's anyone's guess where it's got to. I have my suspicions as to what has happened to it, but it would probably be unfair to say it in public. I've raised a complaint and have been fobbed off with "it has been delivered" so I am now escalating this to the Review Panel. It was £50, so I may as well keep pushing to see where it gets me!
  • mrsc1964
    Options
    girlchops wrote: »
    OP Have you checked with RM that it was scanned as delivered and signed for at your actual address?
    I read recently on another thread of a similar thing where it was signed for as delivered but at wrong address. I don't recall where the fault lay in that case but it's worth a shot especially if it was delivered to wrong address and not yours.
    I'll see if i can find the thread just in case there's something else useful there.
    Yep, it's "confirmed" as delivered to my address. But I don't see how they can categorically make that statement as if this is a foolproof system. No signature was required. I've been told (by another postman) that all the postman has to do is scan his little machine, and that's it. It could theoretically have been delivered to a "number 24" six streets away. It would still be electronically registered as "delivered". Really frustrating because it's obviousy my word against theirs. The seller has stated that he will do nothing else about this because he's got "proof" that is has been delivered.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Happens a lot. Dont think its so much 'bad posties' as plain just plain lazy ones. I had an item recently that was large, signed for. I watched as the postman (Parcel Force) delivered it next door then just left it on his doorstep in full view of the road. He didnt even attempt delivery to my address although both houses and the address on the label were clear. As it was a signed for the !!!! obviously forged the signature too.

I propose a new delivery standard that you could choose for high value items that would be bio-metrically signed for. So either a finger print or retina scan. Cant see any issues with that since the technology is now widely available and not prohibitively expensive. Either way the current standards of tracked and signed for are simply not fit for purpose and may as well not be used since neither even remotely guarantee delivery to the addressee over any random Joe Bloggs the postie meets in the street.
  • alykatz
    alykatz Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    MataNui wrote: »

I propose a new delivery standard that you could choose for high value items that would be bio-metrically signed for. So either a finger print or retina scan. Cant see any issues with that since the technology is now widely available and not prohibitively expensive. Either way the current standards of tracked and signed for are simply not fit for purpose and may as well not be used since neither even remotely guarantee delivery to the addressee over any random Joe Bloggs the postie meets in the street.

Whilst a nice idea in theory, how are all the various delivery companies going to have your finger print/retinal scan data on hand to confirm its really you, and thats not even going into the problems that a system like this would throw up in terms of delivery to family members ect.
    I personal think we are a somewhat over surveilled as is without giving every tom,!!!! or harry retinal scans and fingerprints.
  • soolin
    Options
    MataNui wrote: »
    Happens a lot. Dont think its so much 'bad posties' as plain just plain lazy ones. I had an item recently that was large, signed for. I watched as the postman (Parcel Force) delivered it next door then just left it on his doorstep in full view of the road. He didnt even attempt delivery to my address although both houses and the address on the label were clear. As it was a signed for the !!!! obviously forged the signature too.

Good grief, what an awful idea. I really don't want any random company have my bio data on file, also what happens if I take in a parcel for my poor bed ridden aunt, would I have to drag her out of bed and to the door before the parcel could be left or would the courier company take it up to the bedroom for her? Or would people with a disability, either physical or mental that couldn't get to the door be disbarred from receiving parcels in future?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure