Aftermarket tracker.

Options
dori2o
dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
We got our new car yesterday and we love it. A little 'bug' Peugeot 108, 2017 with 1 previous owner being the dealership who used it as a demonstrator, IIT was first registered in July 2017 and we got it with 4193 miles on the clock (it was 4068 but was delivered to our house yesterday by the dealership rep who drove it here then got the tram and train back to Birmingham).

It's got most things new cars have such as keyless entry push button start/stop, Air Con, speed restriction, Bluetooth, DAB radio, Hill Start , excellent fuel economy, tyre sensors, brand new continental tyres, sensors for travelling over white lines, and reversing camera ( not sure why such a small car needs one but it has it).

I've been looking at possibly getting an alarm and/ or a trailer.

Is there any benefit to buying an aftermarket tracker or one which doesn't need wiring into the cars system?

Someone has recommended a mini tracker which uses a sim card which can provide Goigle map coordinates/location by texting the tracker.

It is plugged into the diagnostic socket and can provide a location immediately as long as the car has been switched on within the last 10 days.

I'm not a massive car person. They serve a purpose of getting us to work and back, or to the places we want/need to go, and my last car had a tracker fitted (but no alarm) as standard even though it's now 14 years old.

Looking online some suggest an alarm is now useless as most thieves know how to bypass them and nobody takes notice anyway. However others say alarm over tracker, yet very few say have both.

Any advice is much appreciated on this matter.
[SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
[/SIZE]

Comments

• chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It won't be high on the hit list of the Mr Big's of the car world, so it's greatest risk will be from joyriders.

I wouldn't bother with a tracker, but an alarm and/or locking device such as a Disklok might be a good investment.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get it alarmed, and use a visible steering lock (make sure you lock it with the wheels turned to make it harder to drag onto a truck.)

The trackers that plug into the diagnostic port are useless, as thieves will simply pull it out when they plug in their laptop to steal the car.

Buy gap insurance, and hope that if it is stolen, it isn't recovered- you don't want it back after a joyrider has had it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    over the last 50 yrs I have found that a well concealed and fitted simple immobiliser , a nice hidden switch that only you know about will stop the proverbial joyriders

a GOOD auto electrician could fit this for you

as stated above , alarms are useless , no one listens or acts , police even drive past them , disklocks are ok , but clumsy and easily to forget to fit , most of the aftermarket trackers (made in china) simply do not work , and the car is found miles away burnt out

I have those fitted to 2 x motorcycles , unless they phisicly steel your fob (mine is in my helmet lining) , they are not going anywhere https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Scooter-immobiliser-anti-Hijack-Security-System-Alarm-It-will-fit-any-Bike/400346283502
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Keyless entry? Then get some faraway pouches. But I wouldn't bother with a tracker.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    *faraday .
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    I would actually disagree with all the above advice, because when you come to sell it you will have the ultimate USP. The only Peugeot in the word that has a tracking device.
  • 01afraser4
    01afraser4 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 November 2018 at 9:43AM
    Options
    {Removed by Forum Team}

Please familiarise with the forum rules, specifically:

"Please be nice to all MoneySavers.!That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. A Guardian article once "doffed its cap" to this forum as being the one place where consumers can collect together and fight back. Our job is to help keep it that way."

{Removed by Forum Team}
  • King_Nothing
    Options
    A 108 won't be very likely car to be stolen to be honest. A cheap tracker will also be useless, as it'll just be GPS based which can be jammed with a cheap device you plug into the 12v socket. I'd save the effort and do as above, get GAP insurance, in the event it does get stolen.

I'm a member of a few stolen car groups on facebook because I have a type of car that gets targeted a lot, most common cars stolen seem to be either high powered faster stuff, or higher end German stuff usually to break for parts, or vans.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    01afraser4 wrote: »
    Please familiarise with the forum rules, specifically:

"Please be nice to all MoneySavers.!That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. A Guardian article once "doffed its cap" to this forum as being the one place where consumers can collect together and fight back. Our job is to help keep it that way."

Stop being unhelpful - just refrain from commenting.

I've never seen a board moderator with so few posts.

...wait...
  • 01afraser4
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    I've never seen a board moderator with so few posts.

...wait...

Are you required to be a moderator to remind someone of forum rules when they are being unhelpful? The fact that you have taken issue with me doing so is a rather sad indictment.

As a relatively new joiner, it has surprised me the amount of trolling, baiting and insulting that goes on especially considering the purpose of these forums are to help people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure