MSE own credit club vs paid for experien?

Options
Ok so wondering whether I am worth cancelling my paid for Experian service or stick with MSE club? What’s the difference?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't pay for any credit files. Use the free versions. The stuff you need is the same.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ok so wondering whether I am worth cancelling my paid for Experian service or stick with MSE club? What’s the difference?
    The MSE Credit club Experian report is updated once a month whereas the paid for Experian report is updated every day. It may even be updated every minute or perhaps every time you log in but you would be able to find out if it was important for you.

What is also true is that lenders such as banks and building societies generally only update balances to Experian (and Equifax and Callcredit) once a month. Therefore the paid for report may still be one month out of date.

It is different with searches on Experian which will be updated daily (or maybe every minute).
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't gain anything having the paid for account, any advice they can give you can be found here for free
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    The MSE Credit club Experian report is updated once a month whereas the paid for Experian report is updated every day. It may even be updated every minute or perhaps every time you log in but you would be able to find out if it was important for you.
    Ooo very George Berkeley. Does it update when you are not logged in to check? :rotfl:
  • RG2015
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    Ooo very George Berkeley. Does it update when you are not logged in to check? :rotfl:
    You're missing the wood for the fallen trees. :)
  • InQuirer
    InQuirer Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    The MSE Credit club Experian report is updated once a month whereas the paid for Experian report is updated every day.

That explains why when I compare them they are always different - sometimes radically so. Do you know what day of the month the credit club is updated or is it different for everyone?
  • RG2015
    Options
    InQuirer wrote: »
    That explains why when I compare them they are always different - sometimes radically so. Do you know what day of the month the credit club is updated or is it different for everyone?
    If you log in to MSE Experian, the last and next update dates are shown on the report. Make sure you check the dates on the credit report tab as these are different to the dates on the dashboard tab.

This however, is further complicated by the banks all updating Experian on a different date each month. It is possible that Experian on MSE is updated on the 6th June but a bank only updates Experian on the 7th June. Hence you will only see this on 6th July on MSE Experian.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

What's different?

If you mean the score/rating then you can safely ignore all that.

The data and accounts etc. on the files should be nigh-on accurate between the two
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Most people only need to look at these things occasionally, instead of getting wound up to more than once a month.

It's not a spot the difference competition. Relax and follow the advice of zx81 in post 2.

Anything that becomes more urgent, such as a suspicion of identity fraud, can be done with one-off reports for £2 each firm. But don't do that every month either.
  • RG2015
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    What's different?

If you mean the score/rating then you can safely ignore all that.

The data and accounts etc. on the files should be nigh-on accurate between the two
    The data and accounts can be up to 30 days out of date when comparing MSE Experian and Experian Credit Expert. But equally Credit Expert can be 30 days out of date if the bank hasn't updated Experian.

In practice this is unlikely to be important but some people may disagree that 30 days out of date is "nigh-on" accurate.

However, if someone is applying for a credit card and the bank checks Experian they may not see that the applicant took out two credit cards with other banks in the last few days. This in turn may influence their decision to offer a card to the applicant.

Please note that I am assuming that the monthly update available to consumers is the same when a bank buys Experian data. It may be that banks can buy more up to date information but this requires that banks inform Experian more frequently for reports that are supplied to banks and this sounds unlikely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure