Feedback % going backwards!

Options
Received a neg just over a week ago (unfair may I add) and my % plummeted from 100% to 99.1%! Since the neg I have received 8 positive feedbacks and sold 4 items, all awaiting feedback. Today I noticed my feedback score has gone down to 99% so somehow I've lost another 0.1%!

Will this trend continue or will it go back up at some point?

I'm sure its going to effect my sales, when searching I always bypass any seller with a low % score as a matter of course without even looking at the feedback. I now realise how stupid this is but I always assumed a low % meant multiple negatives and hence a bad seller!

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    November2 wrote: »
    Received a neg just over a week ago (unfair may I add) and my % plummeted from 100% to 99.1%! Since the neg I have received 8 positive feedbacks and sold 4 items, all awaiting feedback. Today I noticed my feedback score has gone down to 99% so somehow I've lost another 0.1%!

Will this trend continue or will it go back up at some point?

I'm sure its going to effect my sales, when searching I always bypass any seller with a low % score as a matter of course without even looking at the feedback. I now realise how stupid this is but I always assumed a low % meant multiple negatives and hence a bad seller!

Feedback is only counted for a year so your percentage will depend on what falls off at 12 months .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    But it makes no sense, will it stay low for a whole year or does it start to creep back up? How did I lose another 0.1%?

I'm a bit miffed to say the least, 1 negative in years and feedback is totally trashed because of one silly buyer. 99% looks absolutely awful!
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2018 at 6:09PM
    Options
    But it makes no sense, will it stay low for a whole year or does it start to creep back up? How did I lose another 0.1%?

I'm a bit miffed to say the least, 1 negative in years and feedback is totally trashed because of one silly buyer. 99% looks absolutely awful!
    Don't worry about it.
    ..I'm sure its going to effect my sales, when searching I always bypass any seller with a low % score as a matter of course without even looking at the feedback. I now realise how stupid this is but I always assumed a low % meant multiple negatives and hence a bad seller!
    If I see something I want from a seller with less than 100% feedback I look at the overall feedback. If I see lots of positives and only one or two negatives I'll happily proceed.

Even the best of sellers can either make a mistake or get an unfair negative or two.

I've bought from an 87.5 % feedback seller once or twice as it was one negative and seven positives.

Put an objective and unemotional comment on that negative and then forget about it.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't worry about it.

If I see something I want from a seller with less than 100% feedback I look at the overall feedback. If I see lots of positives and only one or two negatives I'll happily proceed.

Even the best of sellers can either make a mistake or get an unfair negative or two.

Yes I am the same.

I always see if there is a pattern to the neg feedback and if it is reasonable.

Sometimes neg feedback is given for high postage charges and I always think this is unfair as I always take postage into account as an overall price I would want to pay.
  • soolin
    Options

It's based on your score for a year, so if you don't sell as much or get less feedback than you did this time last year then the percentage will go down. If you get more positives than at the same time year, then your percentage will go up.

Just imagine, as an additional explanation, that you had stopped using the account immediately after the neg, that would mean the negative is a larger and larger part of the feedback for a year so you could end up with a nonsensical low feedback in the tens.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options

I think it has been explained well, but perhaps to help, it's a "rolling year".

What you sell -365 days counts, like all things ebay, it's to the second.
  • November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you. I always imagined a neg would take percentage down to 99.8 or something so it was a bit of a shock to see it plummet the way it did! Have sold a couple of things over last few days so hopefully my other feedback will stand me in good stead.
  • shapala
    shapala Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you contacted eBay about it?

I had an idiot who purchased a product and didn't like it....before I could even address the issue when I received quite a nasty email on a Sunday morning he left neg feedback around the same time. On Monday, I saw his message and also my feedback. In 6 years, never received one neg over 1000s of products, ranging from cheap phone cases to £2k laptops. I gave him a full refund and told him to keep the item since it wasn't worth my time in him returning it (plus wouldn't be a pleasant experience for next purchaser to have 'used' headphones).

I contacted eBay on chat and the very nice chap I was talking with removed the feedback he left. Always worth doing, op. That's for my biz account, not private.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    I always see if there is a pattern to the neg feedback and if it is reasonable.

Sometimes neg feedback is given for high postage charges and I always think this is unfair as I always take postage into account as an overall price I would want to pay.

Me too. At one time it was possible to click on the username of the person who had left the feedback so you could then see what feedback they'd left other sellers, I found this very useful as it allowed you to identify serial complainers ie I would ignore a negative feedback from any buyer who leaves as many negatives as they do positives.
  • soolin
    Options
    Me too. At one time it was possible to click on the username of the person who had left the feedback so you could then see what feedback they'd left other sellers, I found this very useful as it allowed you to identify serial complainers ie I would ignore a negative feedback from any buyer who leaves as many negatives as they do positives.

I am still able to click on users and see feedback both received and left, I use it all the time to decide whether to accept an offer or not- any daft negs (and I check the seller they were left for as well) and offer is declined and buyer blocked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure