Economy Seven Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• videostrike
    Options
    As others are saying this is wrong, have a look at Trustpilot were you can read more complaints about this, everybody should email the company and complain and if they do not take any notice is time to move to another supplier
    Anybody received today's 16/11/2018 email from them

"IMPORTANT DIRECT DEBIT NOTIFICATION UPDATE" saying
    "If you feel that your new Direct Debit amount does not match your expected usage during the winter, please email [EMAIL="mr@economyseven.co.uk"]mr@economyseven.co.uk[/EMAIL] with a photo of an up-to-date meter reading and we will conduct a further review".
    They must be getting lots of complaints :T, keep the pressure on.
  • Nkirkham
    Options
    Have all customers of evening seven energy received the email regarding a hike in DD payments over the wiknter?

I only joined them 4 weeks ago and agreed £130pcm. They have now emailed to state that will be going up to £220pcm to cover additional fuel use over the winter.

Personally, the whole point of monthly DD Zia to enable the customer to budget. You overpay in the summer and underpay on consumption in the winter, it all balances out over 12 months, but at least you can budget. If I wanted spiking bills I would simply request quarterly bills and pay on my consumption.

I have spoken with a rep from economybseven and apart from being considerably rude, stated “it’s in your terms and conditions, we can change the amount of your DD to whatever we like” surely this cannot be the case? The customer must have the ability to set their monthly outgoing? That is what I have done with every other energy supplier I have had for the last 16 years.

I have emailed them stating I would like them to leave the DD at its current level and if they do not adhere to that request, I will be terminating my contract.

Any advice on the above would be gratefully appreciated
  • olympusmegavolt
    Options
    Further angles to consider

No company gives away free credit, so in one way or another customer will pay.

I have noted that other utility companies (even some of the big boys) are doing a similar thing by splitting the DD for winter and summer.
    In a way, it makes sense. If you want to get the cheapest deal then you cannot expect those companies to also offer free credit as well.
    Assuming that suppliers forward buy their fuel and then a large number of customers join just before the winter period that only pay monthly averaged direct debits, then clearly they will be incurring losses over this period . This will force them to look at addressing their finances.
    This may be what happened in the case of E7E but I think that their reaction was somewhat heavy handed. After I made a complaint they have agreed to look at revising their figures.

I think that irate customers should sit back and consider these points; otherwise they may well be shooting themselves in the foot.

1 You most likely chose E7E because it was the cheapest deal for your usage and unless there are radical changes it is likely to be so over a 12 month period.

2 If you pay higher charges in the winter and lower charges in the summer, your fuel bill will still be the same and remain the cheapest over a 12 month period.

3 If you need the credit offered by an averaged DD in order to level your finances, then it would be necessary to perhaps move to a supplier who will guarantee that; but I suspect you will pay a lot more over a 12 month period.

One may liken it to BT rental charges. Pay a year upfront and it will be significantly cheaper.
    Conversely, pay monthly and it will cost you more.

Only the individual can make those decisions. I would add however that it is in your own interests to record all your monthly readings to give yourself some idea of your varying usage and will enable you to present a factual case should the need arise. It does not take much time for what possibly could save you £100- £300

I take the view that one should sit back, keep tabs on what is still a volatile market, because I always have the option to change WITHOUT penalty when it suits me.

Many of the big boys do not offer these terms and their service often leaves a lot to be desired.
    My son rets a property where the exiting tenant used Npower. It took 2 months to get any sense from them and on one occasion it took 4 hrs, yes 4 hrs, to get connected to a service agent. Good job it was a 0800 number, but having said that the cost of these calls to the supplier are all factored into your bill.
  • KINGCELT
    Options
    We used Economy Energy (EE) and then switched in August 20128. On closing our acct, we owed GBP 17.00 on our electricity bill and they owed us GBP 249.00 on our gas bill.

I asked if they would offset the amounts. They stated we would have to pay the electricity bill immediately and then wait fir the larger refund. Despite being on a dual tariff and making 1 direct debit payment per month.

As of Friday, 16/11/18, EE stated that they forgot to start the refund process (we requested it on 2 occasions) and that they did not know when it would be paid. Only that "the refund had been added to the spreadsheet". They stated we could not speak to a supervisor. They must think we are daft. Maybe we are for signing up but then many energy companies delay paying credit balance refunds.

Should have known better - wait a minute, it was so blatantly obvious in the name:

e CON ME energy?
  • Emma6
    Emma6 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 20 November 2018 at 6:04PM
    Options
    I too received a notice of higher DD. Beware their estimate is not what they say it is (a rebalancing of the payments over the year). In their note, they also increased my estimated annual energy usage by approx 25%. This doubly hikes the winter DD and does not reduce the summer DD enough. If they have done the same with every customer, they will take in a huge amount of cash in advance of supply. I hope they don't go bust with all that spare cash sloshing around.

That is not the only problem I am having with them. Their website won't let me log on to do anything at all (even change my password). Their excuse is that they are "waiting for industry information to filter through." Utterly meaningless phrase. I have sent my gas and electricity meter readings by email to them.

Their cyber-security procedures and software is rather weak. I raised a Data Protection concern with their DP officer in another company of the group. They acknowledged receipt. I don't see that anything has improved in the last month.
    As a precaution until they fix the weaknesses, I recommend customers use a long and very random password not used on any other website. If/when a criminal hacker breaks into their system, they will get a random password not used anywhere else. I hope they are keeping my important financial information more securely than my account password.
  • bbruce
    bbruce Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I switched in May to Eco7 from IRESA who gave no problems before they went under and have just received my £400 refund from Octopus.
    Now I have a £280 credit balance with Eco7 and they wanted to increase my DD from £82 to £120. When I complained they revised the DD to £210 to avoid "bill shock". Instead I have DD shock!
    I will cancel the DD through my bank if they persist and either delay the setting up of a new one or switch to Pure Planet for £2 more and hopefully less hassle.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • old_fat_biker_bloke
    Options
    Stay away from [EMAIL="FWD.katd5nh8vsgd@opayq.com"]Economy Seven Energy[/EMAIL]!! Within days of joining they 'upped' their charges. Then, a few weeks later, they announced they were unilaterally changing the Direct Debit charges. The email stated:

"As part of our obligations as an energy supplier and in accordance with Ofgem’s guidance, we are required to do all we can to limit the risk of customers accruing a debt on their account."

Apparently we were to pay more in the winter and less in the summer. My new DD was to be £251 (Oct to Mar) & £107 (Apr to Sep).

Great, but they failed to consider I/WE CAN NOT AFFORD £251 p/m!!! If they implement this it is game over for us as we just can not afford it, plain and simple..... Things were tough before but this will be the killer blow...

Before all you Haters fire up your keyboards, yes, my wife and I both work!! Her 12 hour shifts (7pm to 7am) and I am Postman. But with extortionate Private rent etc, etc we struggle every month....

I can not believe companies are allowed to change contracts like this!! Re-Nationalise the lot I say!!
  • bbruce
    bbruce Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I switched to greennetworkenergy yesterday and got an email from ECO7 today reducing my DD and admitting their mistake.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • Jon3636
    Options
    Signed up in September 2018 & switched October 2018 paying £179DD.

7.4% increase 2nd November.

Winter DD increase from £179 up to £313.............BOOM ! (Thats only £134 increase for 6 months).

Summer DD reduction for 6 months from £179 down to £134.....OK! (Thats a £45 reduction).

So £134 - £44 = £90 x 6months = £540 increase for paying early 
  • adawson
    Options
    A word of warning for anyone who like me was appalled by the contemptuous way Economy Seven have handled their customers recently. I'm in no illusion about the costs which make up my energy supply including the costs associated with financing but are thoroughly disgusted with the way the policy change and subsequent communications have been handled.

After the initial announcement I had decided to take my business elsewhere, I'm more than happy to pay a pound or two more per month for better service. (I you do a comparison with Cheap Energy Club make sure you're comparing to the current Economy Seven tariff - my account was comparing to my original Economy Seven tariff until I updated it). I instructed a new supplier the same day and being 2-3 months in credit I immediately cancelled my direct debit to Economy Seven, I sent them an email to explain why.

After the latest communication from Economy Seven apologising for the shambolic way they'd been behaving I nearly relented and cancelled my switch. I'm very glad I didn't. Today I noticed a new direct debit for Fischer Energy had been created on my bank account, I've given no authority for this to be done, there is no authority in the Economy Seven T&C's allowing reinstatement of a direct debit mandate. If you're in the same situation go and check with your bank, luckily I caught this in time but I will continue to check until my transfer completes and account is closed next week.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback