PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moving 130m down the road!

Options
Hi all, at the end of the month we're moving to a new house that is within a 2 min walk of our old one. I did directions on Google Maps and it is 130m away. Does anyone know if it's possible to hire removal men to just carry the furniture between the properties? We don't have any wardrobes to move, biggest items are our bed, which dismantles, king size mattress, sofa, kitchen table and tumble dryer (we rent so rest of white goods are supplied).

Or is it just easier to attempt to move this stuff by ourselves, perhaps renting a flat bed style trolley? There's a road between us and the new house but not a busy one. I can also borrow a van from work but that seems pointless seeing as it's under a minutes drive.

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use the van, what happens if it's pouring rain when you move? 100 m is a long way carrying a heavy item.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Absolutely agree with comeandgo. I moved a similar distance and hired a van for the day. In the context of the cost of moving, the van was peanuts and if you have the use of one for nothing, grab it. Moving house yourself is physically hard work. Adding a 230m round trip ten, twenty or more times a day, half of those carrying stuff, and you'll be knackered.
  • rachpid
    rachpid Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, we won't have to do the whole move in one day as will have a couple of days overlap but yeah i think I'll investigate getting the work van. Trying to do this as cheaply as possible as its the second move we've had to do this year.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Definitely another vote for a van! Even if it's only 10 houses up, it's exhausting! Much easier to transport it. I know it seems a bit embarrassing to pack it all up, get into first gear and prob park before you reach second LOL but sofas, beds, mattresses, tumble dryer, etc are heavy!!!!

Me & my OH carried a bed frame (in sections) half a mile from near our house and I was in tears by the end of it where I kept bashing myself with bits of it, and managed to walk into a branch. We wanted so much to laugh as we both knew exactly what would happen if we tried carrying it home, but were bickering at the same time. Pathetic really. It's never as easy as you imagine lol!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    rachpid wrote: »
    Hi all, at the end of the month we're moving to a new house that is within a 2 min walk of our old one. I did directions on Google Maps and it is 130m away. Does anyone know if it's possible to hire removal men to just carry the furniture between the properties? We don't have any wardrobes to move, biggest items are our bed, which dismantles, king size mattress, sofa, kitchen table and tumble dryer (we rent so rest of white goods are supplied).

Or is it just easier to attempt to move this stuff by ourselves, perhaps renting a flat bed style trolley? There's a road between us and the new house but not a busy one. I can also borrow a van from work but that seems pointless seeing as it's under a minutes drive.

I would definitely want to be carried from the old house to the new one actually in the bed. I would wave and throw sweeties to passers-by.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I moved from a small flat to a house literally across a small street, with the help of a bunch of football players (of the "American Football" variety), and even we used vehicles for many of the items. We literally loaded the flatbed truck, drove it across the street to the driveway of the other property and then unloaded it. I can't imagine transporting a houseload of stuff by hand to a house 100m away. It could end up being a very expensive "saving" if there is an accident of some sort or you get caught in a downpour.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • rachpid
    Options
    I would definitely want to be carried from the old house to the new one actually in the bed. I would wave and throw sweeties to passers-by.

Haha if only we could get the bed down our stairs without taking it apart!
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rachpid wrote: »
    Thanks, we won't have to do the whole move in one day as will have a couple of days overlap but yeah i think I'll investigate getting the work van. Trying to do this as cheaply as possible as its the second move we've had to do this year.

As per my comment above, there's "cheap" and then there is "expensive cheap".
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In a moment of insanity I did move a very solid office chair from where I purchased it to our house. With my small 9 year old sitting on it for part of the way lol (he begged and begged so once we were on a smooth part of the walk with few roads to cross I gave in). It was fun, but the chair was quite heavy (not the usual sort of desk chair otherwise I wouldn't have risked it) so although we were both laughing, I'd not do it again.

Remember its not just furniture, its the bags and bags of clothes and stuff that have to be carried. Even with a stringent clear out beforehand.., there's always twice what you think you will be taking lol. I had to move by hand, really didn't have much, it was about 200m and I was suffering by the time we completed. Never again lol. Crossing roads with bed bits, a tumble dryer - no chance lolol. getting up and down kerbs is not as easy as it seems with big heavy stuff. One jolt in the wrong direction and you have pulled muscles and possibly run away white goods to lift up again.
  • rachpid
    Options
    The carrying stuff is partly why I was asking about if removal companies would do that for you! Our last move involved them doing a 40m walk down stairs and across a car park to get to their truck.

I think if we did it ourselves for the small stuff we'd hire some sort of trolley rather than carry stuff, we already have a small one that could take a few boxes in one go. We have a few weeks to work this out anyway. Thanks for the advice everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure