Options
2»

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 January 2019 at 6:24PM
    Options
    mine is the same i opened it afew years but didn't do much with it.
    May I ask why you want a DD on it if it's an old account? No DDs are needed on old accounts to get interest

T&Cs are different for accounts opened before April 1 2017 https://www.tescobank.com/current-accounts/terms-and-conditions/
  • older_wiser
    older_wiser Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    Sure, you could consider opening a new current account with an existing bank to set up a Paypal DD and switch the account. It's quite a bit of work and would be no good for this month, but Paypal is a very good DD to have on a Tesco account given the way the T&Cs are written.

I might have to end up doing that for next month but i have enough bank accounts already though as i use certain accounts for certain expenditures.

Thanks for the help and advice much appreciated
  • older_wiser
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    May I ask why you want a DD on it if it's an old account? No DDs are needed on old accounts to get interest

my account was created in 2017 but after the cut off date so 3 direct debits is essential to get the 3%
  • older_wiser
    Options
    i've opened a PO savers account after reading a previous post

i tried to add my tesco bank account to paypal once again and this time it was successful not sure why its suddenly working maybe the paypal escalation team did something. i'm just waiting for the amount to show up on my account to put the verification code so hopefully thats sorted. Alot of bother for 3% on 3k but every little helps.

it now has 3 valid DD so if they do reduce the account interest in april i can always use this as a donor account for future switches.

thanks for all the help advice
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    i've opened a PO savers account after reading a previous post

i tried to add my tesco bank account to paypal once again and this time it was successful not sure why its suddenly working maybe the paypal escalation team did something. i'm just waiting for the amount to show up on my account to put the verification code so hopefully thats sorted. Alot of bother for 3% on 3k but every little helps.

it now has 3 valid DD so if they do reduce the account interest in april i can always use this as a donor account for future switches.

thanks for all the help advice

Glad you've got it sorted.

Just a word of warning about the PO saver.

There are multiple threads over many years, detailing difficulty in extracting money from these accounts, so I would only use for small amounts that you don't need to access regularly.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    Options
    colsten wrote: »

T&Cs are different for accounts opened before April 1 2017 https://www.tescobank.com/current-accounts/terms-and-conditions/
    Yes but things may change soon. It's best to be prepared and I for one would rather not take part in a mad scramble for DDs when Tesco change the rules.

I have no inside knowledge of Tesco's plans.
  • SlovakianGuy
    Options
    I hate PayPal. Never worked OK for me. I've set up the direct debit, they sent 1 penny into my account, and yet, when I try to pay something with PayPal, it always asks me for my card details.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I hate PayPal. Never worked OK for me. I've set up the direct debit, they sent 1 penny into my account, and yet, when I try to pay something with PayPal, it always asks me for my card details.
    To use the instant bank transfer feature (which collects payments by DD), you need to verify your bank account and set up a credit/debit card backup funding mechanism. If you've done all of those things then payments should default to bank-funded, which is an annoying thing for most people.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2019 at 4:04PM
    Options
    As the title suggests i'm trying to add my paypal account to my tesco bank account. I already have the debit card added but when i add the bank account it doesn't accept it.

From Paypal FAQ:

"Unable to add bank account:
    • The bank account is already linked to another PayPal account."
    I wonder if having already added the debit card meant that the bank account was regarded as already-linked?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    Options
    Vortigern wrote: »
    Yes but things may change soon. It's best to be prepared and I for one would rather not take part in a mad scramble for DDs when Tesco change the rules.

I have no inside knowledge of Tesco's plans.
    If they change their rules, they will give existing account holders ample notice - at least 30 days, probably even 60 days. I'll be reacting as and if they change their T&Cs, and once I have read the changes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure