PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lease & Pets Major Issue

Dear All,

I have a major problem and do not know what to do. I have lived in an apartment for 1 year now and have had a dog since I moved in.
The other day I was asked by the management company if I had a dog which I thought I was allowed. However how they worded the email made it sound like you could not have a dog. I purchased the apartment on the basis of this as the solicitors stated to me that they had read through the paperwork and restrictions attached to the property and it does not appear that dogs and domestic animals are not allowed. I don’t know what to do!

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If your lease doesn't prohibit dogs then you don't have a major problem.

Are there no clues in the email about why they're asking e.g. has someone complained about something to do with your dog?
  • tbarson1
    tbarson1 Posts: 72 Forumite
    The solicitors said there was nothing in the paperwork or restrictions but not sure about the lease as I have not seen it before. What do I do if the solicitors said pets ok but lease says no pets?

No ones complained, it was a cleaner who saw the dog and told the management company
  • mrschaucer
    mrschaucer Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you saying you bought a leasehold flat without reading the lease?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Read your lease. What does it say in the lease that is what matters.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    the solicitors stated to me that they had read through the paperwork and restrictions attached to the property
    What paperwork? Did it include the lease? If not and the lease says no to pets, then that's that.
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    tbarson1 wrote: »
    The solicitors said there was nothing in the paperwork or restrictions but not sure about the lease as I have not seen it before.

Presumably the solicitors provided you with a copy of the lease as part of the paperwork relating to the purchase?

I would suggest reading it yourself to make sure that the solicitors didn't miss anything.

Was it actual solicitors you used for the purchase or a cheaper conveyancing company?
  • tbarson1
    It was a solicitors firm but the person who dealt with my sale was a conveyancer. What if they advised pets were allowedbut the lease says no? That's false information then or mis advice isn't it?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What do I do if the solicitors said pets ok but lease says no pets?
    The solicitors wouldn't have said that without checking the lease.
    No ones complained, it was a cleaner who saw the dog and told the management company
    Then the management company should tell the cleaner there isn't a problem with people having dogs.
    What if they advised pets were allowedbut the lease says no? That's false information then or mis advice isn't it?
    Yes, it would be, but since you apparently haven't read the lease yourself why don't you check that first?
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You must read your lease.

Not all lease documents are the same so until you know the exact wording regarding pets no one can advise you exactly what to do.

You will have a copy of your lease and it will have been given to you in the paperwork supplied to you from your solicitor when you purchased.

It is your responsibility to understand the contents of the lease,whilst your solicitor may advise on certain points you should have read it also to clarify.

The lease will possibly state
    no pets allowed
    or pets allowed once permission is obtained.

If there is no reference to pets or permission it is usually assumed that they are allowed,however there could be conditions in the lease further on that relate to noise issues or similar that suggest if a complaint is received the pet could be asked to leave.

once you have read the lease to establish if there is a condition mentioned you will know what you need to do.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • tbarson1
    So if the lease says no but the solicitors said pets were allowed what do I do? That means I was misinformed by the solicitors? What would I do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure