PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lease & Pets Major Issue

Options

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tbarson1 wrote: »
    So if the lease says no but the solicitors said pets were allowed what do I do? That means I was misinformed by the solicitors? What would I do?
    Why aren't you reading your lease before deciding what to do?
  • tbarson1
    tbarson1 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    8Dw8PXvlI1xXEAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
  • tbarson1
    Options
    It says no pets to be kept in the property whatsoever........Just found it. The conveyancer from the firm said that pets were allowed however before I purchased the apartment. How could they miss that?
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So if the lease says no but the solicitors said pets were allowed what do I do? That means I was misinformed by the solicitors? What would I do?

don't make any assumptions until you have read the lease.

This is not something that you can blame on your solicitor,you should have checked the wording before you committed to the purchase.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    It says no pets to be kept in the property whatsoever........Just found it. The conveyancer from the firm said that pets were allowed however before I purchased the apartment. How could they miss that?

how did you miss that fact when you read the lease before purchase????
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• tbarson1
    Options
    How can the solicitors say there were no restrictions on pets and it says it there?
  • tbarson1
    Options
    It also says on the solicitors portal under the draft lease - A final version which may differ will be supplied in the post for signature once agreed. I never signed the lease I don't think?
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Presumably you've got that in writing from the conveyancer? If so then I would make contact with them and ask them that question.

However, it's still something you should have spotted when you read the lease before signing it.
  • tbarson1
    Options
    I don't actually recall signing the lease?
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    It seems that you are trying to pass the blame every which way but to yourself.

You purchased a property without checking the full details of what you were committing to when you bought the apartment.

Whether you have signed the document or not is now possibly just a technicality,the fact is your pet dog is not welcome and you now know that.

You could take the managing agent,solicitor and even the leaseholder to court over this but it will be a very costly process that you are unlikely to win or gain anything from.

I would start to think practiacally about how you can resolve this by asking a friend or relative if they will remome your dog in the short term whilst you perhaps look at a long term solution for you both going forward and next time make sure you read and fully understand every bit of paperwork put infront of you!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills