What temperature do you keep your house?

Options
Looking for some rough guidance of what the best temperature is to keep house (I have asthma but also quite like being a little bit chilly) and whether it is better to heat each room quite well as as I’m using them or have a generally low heating on throughout...thanks

Comments

• no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Best to have thermostatic radiator valves to better control each room. Then have your Central heating controller with your target temperature. Some go for 21 degrees, personally I use 19.5 degrees.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Heatings off unless really cold out then 19.5c.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I aim for around 25c in my office/computer room.

The computers do add to the heat in there so it is less elsewhere.

Though in general I aim for clothes optional temperatures!
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,911 Forumite
    Options
    Tranquil wrote: »
    Looking for some rough guidance of what the best temperature is to keep house (I have asthma but also quite like being a little bit chilly) and whether it is better to heat each room quite well as as I’m using them or have a generally low heating on throughout...thanks

Not sure if the temperature makes any difference to asthma.

I put my thermostat at 25*, just came in 20 minutes ago, so the thermometer in the room says 12.6*; when its warmed up it might read 15*
    My house is rather cold :)
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,750 Forumite
    Options
    Ours are set for 18 all day and 10 at night. Coal fire light in evening if cold.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    no thermostat - if i feel cold the heating goes on -if i feel hot it goes off
  • Clairabella
    Clairabella Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I vary ours according to what I'm doing. 18c in the day if I'm moving around and busy but 22c in the evening. Even at 22c I can feel a tad cold whereas my OH is sitting in shorts and tshirt. :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Amanda_Cm
    Amanda_Cm Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    We keep 21degrees all the time on thermostat there is a baby in the house. I was thinking to decrease the temperature for the night but my partner says is cold.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Amanda_Cm wrote: »
    We keep 21degrees all the time on thermostat there is a baby in the house. I was thinking to decrease the temperature for the night but my partner says is cold.

I’m sure 21 degrees used to be too hot for a baby’s room.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,867 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    17 or 18 if I'm busy and moving round. Or turned off if I'm being energetic and having the windows open to air the house at the same time. 20 if I'm working from home and spending all day sitting at the laptop. Back to 17 or 18 in the evening because I wrap a blanket round me if I get cold. Plus the large dog on my lap also helps. 17 overnight.
    But there isn't a right or wrong answer - it's what suits you and how well insulated or draughty your house is.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure