What temperature do you keep your house?

Options

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I cannot understand anyone keeping the heating on all night, unless it!!!8217;s was below freezing.

People with little kids, or those who like to keep the fabric of the house ticking along at a constant temperature instead of putting the heating system under heavier loads to get things warm a couple of times a day
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Baby in the house, heating on 24hr a day rooms the baby spends time in kept to 18C others at about 16. The baby thermometer classes less than 16 as too cold, 16-20 ideal, 20-24 a bit hot and 24+ as too hot. Bills have gone up surprisingly little since last winter (pre baby, and heating only on 3hrs in eve 1 in morning).
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm amazed those of us who were babies before central was common have survived!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I'm amazed those of us who were babies before central was common have survived!

Yes ! 2 up 2 down with an outside loo and only a coal fire/back boiler (when the fire was lit) for heating and hot water. Mum used to say how lucky we were not to need net curtains in the bedrooms, because in the winter we had lovely frost patterns instead !

Wouldn't wish that on a child now, though.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes ! 2 up 2 down with an outside loo and only a coal fire/back boiler (when the fire was lit) for heating and hot water. Mum used to say how lucky we were not to need net curtains in the bedrooms, because in the winter we had lovely frost patterns instead !

I believe warmer homes/places allow the spread of germs, it does not stop me putting the heating on tho.
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm Asthmatic too, being in an cold environment for too long can induce asthma and can be dangerous. We don't have children and set ours at 20C from 6.30am-8am, 5pm-6pm, 8.30pm-10.30pm so we can wake up to a warm house, return to warm home after work, and fall asleep in a warm room.
    At night it's set at 16.5c, and all other times are set at 18c.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    Options
    Ours is set for 12 overnight, although it's never dropped low enough to come on, 19-20 for early morning when I get up (4:45 most days) just to take any chill out of the air. Through the day when we are out it's set to 14, if at home 16 and the evening goes back up to 18-20 but often turned off if we are cooking or have candles lit.

It's so much easier to adjust to a comfortable temperature with the hive system, especially if we forget to turn it (or the lights) off and go to work we can turn them off from there and turn them back on just as we leave work so the house is just right when we get home.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 March 2018 at 10:34PM
    Options

Similar here, but no back boiler in that house. :eek:
    Mum had a gas boiler (that was like a small tub with a gas ring underneath it, not a gas boiler in the modern sense). Baths in a tin bath in the kitchen.
    Three of us survived as babies in that house before we moved.
    I was a bit older than the others.
    We were happy there. My mum still said that years later.

I think that we (me included!) have got soft.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Options
    I keep my house at 21C during day/evening. At night the thermostat is set to switch back on again at a rather lower temperature (never applies).

I find that the house temperature has usually sunk to around 18.5C overnight if I'm awake to notice the temperature at "turn on time" each morning.

If there's a health reason to have the house at a specific temperature - then it's probably as well to have a thermometer or two around the house to check. On the other hand Age Concern has giveaway cardboard temperature things that are a rough sort of thermostat. The gauge on it gives the rough temperature. I've just realised how quick-acting that gauge is too - as I've just put one I have in front of the computer and it promptly went up from 21C to 24C.

I would imagine all of Age Concern/Age UK does these cardboard gauge things? Mine is from the ageCymru part of the organisation - so I guess the rest of it does so too?

It's graded as:
    9C - Risk of hypothermia. Turn the heating up
    12C - Too cold. increased risk of heart attack and stroke
    15C - Chilly - risk of respiratory illness
    18C - 21C - comfortable house temperature
    24C - 27C - too hot. Reduce the temperature.

Odd that 22 & 23 are missing. That’s what I like :-)
    I wish my thermostat was clever enough to be able to set different temperatures for the day & night.
    It’s set to go off at night, but when it’s really cold, I do leave it on.
    If I could set a night time temp of 18 I’d leave it on!
  • riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    18.5 and it's set to go on from 6-9 in the morning and 5-11 at night.

Now that I'm home all day I'll sometimes stick it on in between if it's especially chilly though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure