'Is your property at risk of flooding?' - advice sought.

The question 'Is your property at risk of flooding' is commonly asked by insurers. I'm a bit confused by this.

My house/estate is 25 years old and has never flooded. The wider area it's in was flooded by a local river over 50 years ago. Changes were made then as a consequence, and in the last few years substantial flood defences have been almost completed.

Now, I've known people in Urban areas miles from water flooded by sudden flash heavy rain falls. Quite literally, everyone has some risk of flooding.

The gov.uk tools suggest a 'Medium risk'. My question is, how do I answer the vague question above and why are they asking it when postcode flood risk tools have been available to insurers for some time? They can assess the risk better than Joe Public of varying knowledge etc. I read somewhere or other that they may really mean 'at imminent risk', i.e. a local river had burst its banks and is headed my way, but if so that's not what they are saying?

I don't want to over or understate the risk, given I could be declined outright or at later claim stage if I get this wrong.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I don't think an individual ought to be having to assess risk at all - that's the insurer's job. Their client should merely be asked for straightforward answers to straightforward questions, and the insurer assesses the risk based on those answers.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, that's an old question that ought to have been phased out by now. Some insurers don't even ask anymore and rely on their own data.

In any event, if you're property has never flooded to your knowledge you can't be expected to give any answer other than "no".
  • NorthernGuy
    NorthernGuy Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 18 June 2019 at 8:29AM
    Clifford_Pope - Completely agree, but every damned insurer asks the question. I could be an optimistic fool or whatever. They don't even offer a low/medium/high response as the gov.uk tools do.

So how do I answer the question?
  • NorthernGuy
    Zorillo - thanks for that. There's a river running through my town. Would that give me no defence if I answered 'No' and something ever happened?
  • Zorillo
    Most towns have rivers through them. If you're not immediately adjacent to it or in an area prone to river flooding then you should be ok.

The fact that the EA has it as medium risk should mean the insurer will have it mapped adequately.
  • NorthernGuy
    Zorillo wrote: »
    Most towns have rivers through them. If you're not immediately adjacent to it or in an area prone to river flooding then you should be ok.

The fact that the EA has it as medium risk should mean the insurer will have it mapped adequately.

So you believe that mapping, which has taken place, overrides any insurer get-out that 'The customer mislead us'?
  • rosierd
    rosierd Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Insurers use their own tools to determine a flood risk which is based on the environment agency. When you quote they will check the postcode against their own determined acceptance and will choose to either quote or not.

Depends on the question they ask also some might simply ask are you 1/4 from a watercourse, stream, river etc. etc.

Others might ask are you in an area which has a history of flooding to which you would have to say yes to. If the question is simple or ambiguous it isn't your issue it is theirs.
    I work in Insurance (Broker). All views are my own.
  • rosierd wrote: »
    Insurers use their own tools to determine a flood risk which is based on the environment agency. When you quote they will check the postcode against their own determined acceptance and will choose to either quote or not.

Depends on the question they ask also some might simply ask are you 1/4 from a watercourse, stream, river etc. etc.

Others might ask are you in an area which has a history of flooding to which you would have to say yes to. If the question is simple or ambiguous it isn't your issue it is theirs.

OK thanks. The question is indeed ambiguous. If I asked 'Is your house at risk of burglary' you could equally say yes (in say a lifetime) or no (mostly doesn't happen), or reply 'no more than average'. Stupid question.

Would a Yes answer to flood risk be unwise, perhaps triggering automatic rejection?
  • Zorillo
    I wouldn't answer yes. It's a demonstrably unfair question for the reasons you've outlined yourself. No insurer would be able to rely on it in order to avoid a claim should one occur.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We are all at risk of every risk we consider worth insuring against - that's why we have insurance.
    If we weren't at risk from flooding there would be no need for insurance against it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure