Annual booster costs (for dogs)

Options

Comments

• Besty8
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    Another one in Lancashire here, £24 at ours as well, but I know there is a cheaper one near us who only charge £18 ish-he is a good vet and cheap but has a huge waiting list lol.

For £70 I would expect worming pills and flea treat for the year as well lol

Ali x

Hi please can you advise which vets in Lancashire please
  • Suescollies10
    Options
    Hubby just back after taking our girl for her booster, boosters at Yourvets are £23.40 if booked for happy hour or £29.75 if not.
    Would never pay £70 unless everything covered for her that she'd require for the year.

My concern is she only needs the Lepto injection, so why are they charging the same price they do for normally everything when it's only a single injection, can anyone enlighten me please, now looking for a vet that will only give the injection at a reduced price if possible, I know she's need the Lepto yearly, thanks in advance, we live in Coventry.
  • summers000001
    Options
    Annual core vaccinations the so called booster's are not necessary. There is no sicence that says your dog needs a vaccination annually. Have a look at Dr Ronald Schultz and Dr Jean Dodds on YouTube. Most people in my 2 years experience of dog ownership are over vaccinating over medicating there dogs. Do your own reaserch. Most conventional vets I've seen are misleading people and misselling. There is a simple test called a titre check which cost around 35 quid which will tell you if your dog needs a vaccine or not. The WSAVA guidelines 2015 says a puppy should be titred to prove the vaccination has worked, please people familize your self with these guidelines. Dr Ronald Schultz says once you have vaccinated and proven immunity with a titre that should be it for 7 years to a lifetime. Do your homework people. None core vaccinations like leptospirosis and kennel cough are a waste of time. Check Dr Jean Dodds reaserch on these. Leptospirosis vaccination contains thermisamol which is a Mercury based preservative which is poison. We don't vaccinate humans for leptospirosis in the UK. It is very low risk. Noseodes are another alternative. These are a natural way of providing protection. The vets don't promote titres nor do they promote noseodes. Educate yourselfs for the sake of your pets.
  • fairymoneysaver
    Options
    Most people in my 2 years experience of dog ownership are over vaccinating over medicating there dogs. Do your own reaserch. Most conventional vets I've seen are misleading people and misselling.

We don't vaccinate humans for leptospirosis in the UK. It is very low risk.

Vets have 5/6 years of training, you have 2 years of dog ownership and you are an expert? And how many misleading and misselling vets have you seen in that 2 years?

As for lepto, in this country I would find it very strange to see a human drink from a muddy puddle/pond etc.

Just like with vaccinating kids, the reason some of these diseases are not rife is because of vaccinations.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    While I agree boosters should not be necessary the kennels I use insist on them so I have no choice.
    When I did not need to use kennels i did not booster.

Vets follow the vaccine manufacturer's recommendation as if anything goes wrong the manufacturer is responsible. If a vet did not follow their recommendation and the a dog suffered on illness it could have been vaccinated against the vet would be liable and his insurance would not cover him.

Some insurance companies insist on annual examinations and boosters. Go 13 months and they will not cover you.

Others will cover you except for any condition that your pet could have been vaccinated against.

So anyone considering not giving boosters needs to check their insurance policy carefully.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    I pay £15 a month for my Schnauzer X and this includes all vaccinations and regular worm and flea treatment, as well as 20% of all other bills. Time will tell whether it is worth it.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • peter021072
    peter021072 Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been looking for reliable sources on this topic. Would any veterinary experts looking in agree with with this article regarding booster injections for adult dogs? I've missed out the Rabies part since I don't think it's relevant for the UK unless travelling abroad
    GUIDELINES FOR THE VACCINATION OF DOGS AND CATS COMPILED BY THE VACCINATION GUIDELINES GROUP (VGG) OF THE WORLD SMALL ANIMAL VETERINARY ASSOCIATION (WSAVA)

Revaccination of Adult Dogs

Dogs that have responded to vaccination with MLV core vaccines maintain a solid immunity (immunological memory) for many years in the absence of any repeat vaccination (Bohm et al. 2004, Mouzin et al. 2004, Schultz 2006, Mitchell et al. 2012) [EB1].

Following the 26 or 52 week booster, subsequent revaccinations are given at intervals of 3 years or longer. It should be emphasized that triennial adult revaccination does not generally apply to killed core vaccines (except for rabies) nor to the non-core vaccines, and particularly not to vaccines containing bacterial antigens. Thus Leptospira, Bordetella and Borrelia (Lyme disease) products, but also parainfluenza virus components, require more frequent boosters for reliable protection (Ellis & Krakowka 2012, Klaasen et al. 2014, Ellis 2015, Schuller et al. 2015) [EB1].

Therefore an adult dog may, according to these guidelines, still be revaccinated annually, but the components of these vaccinations may differ each year. Typically, core vaccines are currently administered triennially, with chosen non-core products being given annually. The VGG is aware that in some countries only multi-component products containing core and non-core combinations are available. The VGG would encourage manufacturers to make a full range of reduced-component vaccines (or at least separate core and non-core vaccines (Mitchell et al. 2012) available wherever possible.

An adult dog that had received a complete course of core vaccinations as a puppy, including a 26 or 52 week booster, but that may not have been vaccinated regularly as an adult, requires only a single dose of MLV core vaccine to boost immunity (Mouzin et al. 2004, Mitchell et al. 2012) [EB1]. Similarly, an adopted adult dog (or puppy over 16 weeks of age) of unknown vaccination history requires only a single dose of MLV core vaccine to engender a protective immune response. Many vaccine datasheets will advise in these circumstances that the dog requires two vaccinations (as for a puppy), but this practice is unjustified and contrary to
    fundamental immunological principles [EB4]. Note again, that this does not apply to non-core vaccines, many of which will require two doses in an adult dog.

https://www.wsava.org/WSAVA/media/PDF_old/WSAVA-Vaccination-Guidelines-2015-Full-Version.pdf
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With regards to core vaccinations:
    Distemper, hepatitis and parvo virus are administered every 3 years. Leptospirosis yearly.
    Optional vaccines:
    Kennel cough yearly
    Rabies vaccine every 3 years depending on country of travel.

We don't not use the parainfluenza vaccine within my practice. Cost around £36 booster - yorkshire area.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Our dog had initial puppy vaccinations and one year booster, but now won't have the core vaccines for three years.

We chose not to have the Leptospirosis vaccine.

A vet told us years ago that the KC vaccine doesn't necessarily protect a dog from catching KC and our dog doesn't go into kennels.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    Our dog had initial puppy vaccinations and one year booster, but now won't have the core vaccines for three years.

We chose not to have the Leptospirosis vaccine.

A vet told us years ago that the KC vaccine doesn't necessarily protect a dog from catching KC and our dog doesn't go into kennels.

The vaccine tends to reduce the clinical signs dramatically - it has it's benefits :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure