What car to buy my mum?

Options

Comments

• mbwoy84
    mbwoy84 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Japanese cars score high on reliability, but can be expensive to repair. Parts can be far more expensive than for European cars.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Another vote for the Jazz here, does my mother well, on to her second one.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a Skodia Fabia. Very happy with it.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another vote for a Fabia, nice cars, well equipped and cheap to run.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2018 at 12:38AM
    Options
    NO ! get the VW Up ! it s brill, its no granny car.My company leased 9000 of them on meter reading duties and we really give small cars a hard life.
    its cheaper cousin the Skoda Citigo is just as good
    she will love this car. Its has the best gearbox in the world, does 60 mpg with a light foot.everything feels spot on with this car AND it cruises easily at 80 mph despite its 3 cylinder engine and feels very unstressed at tha speed.
    It is easily the nicest small car I ve used and I had 3 years with the Citigo,small car of the year in 2015 and up at the top in reliability in What Car mag.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Chances are her Focus keeps breaking down because she just uses it to do very short journeys around town. Anything you get will end up being exactly the same.

Did you even read the OP at all?
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a Volkswagen Up! I never realised they were 'Granny cars' :rotfl:I'm in my thirties but most of the people I see driving them are young guys. It was surprisingly expensive to insure which has led me to believe they are popular with 'boy racer' types.

Mine has better visibility than any car I've driven before, especially for reversing, so in that sense it might suit an older person. It's not in any way sluggish either.

Or what about a Corsa OP? I loved my old corsa. It lasted 14 years with very little spent on repairs. Dirt cheap to insure too.
  • hjf12345
    hjf12345 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmmm, you’ve all given me too much choice! really appreciate everyone’s help. I think I’ve whittled down to the Yaris, Jazz, Fabia or Up (take it back what I said about a granny car!)

She does quite a lot of motorway driving so the issue with a 1.0 litre engine - like the Up - is being able to handle faster speeds. I’ll go read some more reviews... thanks again
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.fiatsupasaver.com/special-fiat-supa-saver-offers

If buying a Fiat stick to what they excel at and that is small cars. The Fiat 1.2 Pop would suit her just fine. (She may not agree though).

They have a solid non interference engine that can take a lot of abuse.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a potential relative who worked in the Up! factory near Zwickau in Germany (somewhat upgraded since the Trabant days!). He wouldn't touch them. He used to watch them glue them together.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure