Vegan Living & Ethical Buying

Options

Comments

• RebeccaAnn
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. I am checking out project 333 as we speak and I love the idea. I have also asked the husband to get me a razor for xmas from little shop of vegans in Norwich. Hope everyone is well and enjoying the change in weather.
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    Re underwear, have a look at M&S 'Plan A' : it is working towards using more Fair trade/organic cotton, so I feel more comfortable buying underwear from them than the really cheap stuff, as at least they're going in the right direction while still being affordable. 'The true cost of fashion' documentary is a real eye opener, though be warned, it's not an easy watch! It certainly made me rethink my attitude to what I buy.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • RebeccaAnn.....you must be in my neck of the woods! ;)

It's absolutely beautiful here today....I'm currently drinking a glass of wine in my garden and watching the pheasant munching seeds - the sun is making his colours iridescent and reminding me of how incredibly lucky I am to live where I live and grateful for the changing seasons :happyhear

I'm off to London next week and really hoping to get some large chickpeas - I've tried online but don't seem to be able to locate any that are organic, reasonably priced or don't an eye watering delivery charge! If anyone has any ideas....I'd be very grateful!! :D
  • RebeccaAnn
    Options
    I watched the true cost of fashion last night. It was utterly heartbreaking. I just think that we have become so used to the cost of items on the high street that moving to fairtrade then seems extremely expensive but we never think about the history of products.

Squirrelgirl, I truly love it here. We used to live further up north and I didn't actually want to move down here but Norwich (we live a distance away in the middle of nowhere) is an amazing city. So many small businesses and vegan restaurants. The weather is so much nicer than where we were too, we won't have to turn our heating on for another month but we have friends back home that are already complaining about the weather. Autumn is my fave time of year, I love the colors and getting to wear jumpers and other comfy clothes but I especially love the food.

Hope the trip to London goes well, I have never seen large chickpeas and didn't actually realize that they came any bigger than the standard size!
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    RebeccaAnn it really is lovely - I'm originally from the north east and I do miss hills but other than that, I really can't fault the area at all! :D

I didn't manage to get the giant chickpeas (they're known as Castillian chickpeas) as the only ones I could find were the ones in jars and so expensive it's scary!! Unfortunately, I think I will have to just bite the bullet and pay for the exorbitant delivery charge - I'll convince myself it's a belated birthday pressie and hopefully won't feel as resentful!! ;):rotfl:

I was very good while I was in London and bought nothing at all other than a few beverages....I almost succumb to an absolutely beautiful white balsamic but I managed to resist the temptation as I still have several litres of plain balsamic and my flavoured ones....regardless of my obsession with it, there really is only so much I can use ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I did it and bought the chickpeas online - not ideal but got quite a few packets so that the postage expense was minimised ;) I cooked a batch and they really are lovely so worth the hassle - had them with a warm buckwheat and harissa salad...lush!! I'll use the rest of the batch by making a butternut squash and chickpea casserole and a chickpea curry....if any are left over, I'll make hommous or freeze them :D
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I did it and bought the chickpeas online - not ideal but got quite a few packets so that the postage expense was minimised ;) I cooked a batch and they really are lovely so worth the hassle - had them with a warm buckwheat and harissa salad...lush!! I'll use the rest of the batch by making a butternut squash and chickpea casserole and a chickpea curry....if any are left over, I'll make hommous or freeze them :D
    Oooo where did you find them?
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Savvy, tapas lunch company...not organic unfortunately but couldn't find any that were :(
  • pile-o-stone
    Options
    My post is not especially vegan related, but we vegans do love our natural habitat, so hopefully no one will mind me posting this. After seeing lots of news reports about the damage plastic is doing to our environment, I started to look at my own lifestyle to see if I could make some changes. I do a lot of travelling as part of my job and I am always dismayed with the small plastic shower gel, shampoo and conditioners provided by the hotels. They often provide a small soap as well, so I stick with that if possible, but just use the gel if not, trying to eek out the whole pot for my stay (often the hotel staff throw it away after one use, so I used to hide it). I decided that I'd just bring my own shower gel, then decided that they still come in plastic, so I found some soap bars wrapped in paper and I bought a soap case for my toiletry bag. This started me thinking and I went on to replace my disposable razor heads with a double edged safety razor and 100% recyclable razor blades, replaced shaving gel in a metal can with shaving soap in a paper wrapper, antiperspirant in a plaster roller with an alum crystal block (I'm amazed with how well this stuff works!), toopaste in a plastic tube with toothpowder in a glass bottle (with metal lid), mouth wash in a plastic bottle with mouthwash tablets in a glass bottle (metal lid) and hair gel in a plastic tube with hair putty in a metal case.

My travel bag is now completely plastic free (& obv vegan) and I'm looking to see where else I can reduce/remove plastic from my life.

I found loads of websites dedicated to a plastic free life, so I'm going to do research and see just how plastic free I can get :)
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think thats great pile-o-stone!! :D

Thankfully my plastic use is pretty limited but until I am totally plastic free, I'll keep looking at what I'm using ;) I use pyrex dishes for freezing and storing food (the lids are plastic but I've had them for years and no deterioration), i buy all my toiletries and cleaning products in bulk and Suma take the containers back to refill, my binsacks are degradable and i try to buy drinks etc in glass bottles...in all honesty, thats the hardest thing to get away from - plastic drinks bottles..and when i buy pulses, grains etc in bulk they tend to come in plastic! On the plus side, Suma are doing what they can to minimise plastics (thats one of the multitude of good things about them! ;)) so a lot of the thinking is done for me! :D

It'sgreat that things like this are becoming more mainstream now...however much I hate the media, the exposure of the damage from plastics and the resulting focus upon it from a wide range of people and companies can only be a good thing :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback