Vanguard

Options
Hi all

I have read Ramit Sethi’s ‘I will make you rich’ and taken a lot of the advice onboard.

I currently invest £4000 p/a into a LISA, with a government bonus of £1000.

I am trying to be extremely frugal for the next few years, and have £500 a month to invest. My five year goal will be to put the money towards a house.

Are target retirement funds the UK equivalent of lifecycle funds he mentions in the book, and are these suitable given my savings goal?

With my existing LISA, should I aim for a more aggressive balance between stocks and bonds?

Any advice offered would be hugely appreciated. Thanks :j

Comments

• fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You are not aiming for retirement - those funds mostly have long glide paths (25,20,15 years etc) and readjust bond/stocks allocation as the target date becomes closer. Your goal is 5 years away and would not really benefit from such adjustments, you might as well have a fixed allocation now.

As for what that fixed allocation might be you say
    should I aim for a more aggressive balance between stocks and bonds?
    5 years is not very long in stocks and there is a not insignificant chance to lose money over that period with them, so be careful with your spread.

The £1000 a year bonus will help a lot with your returns so you could try looking at different spreads and seeing what the worst/best/average scenarios might be over 5 years and picking one you are comfortable with. Don't pick one where a worst case scenario would be unable to put the deposit you want down.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mango111 wrote: »
    I am trying to be extremely frugal for the next few years, and have £500 a month to invest. My five year goal will be to put the money towards a house.

Generally you shouldn't invest at all with money you need within 5 years. 10 years is about the minimum you are looking at for investments in equities and bond funds.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are target retirement funds the UK equivalent of lifecycle funds he mentions in the book, and are these suitable given my savings goal?

I havent read the book but these funds are a niche option that is unlikely to be suitable for the majority of people. They start off higher risk than the average UK consumer and end up lower risk than the average UK consumer. So, its not a case of using investments that fit you but instead you fitting the investments. That is not the way to invest. Plus, they are more expensive.

On top of that, your objective does not seem consistent with risk reduction over the next 20-40 years.
    With my existing LISA, should I aim for a more aggressive balance between stocks and bonds?
    You have given us nothing to go on to be able to answer that question.

Everyone has a personal view on investment risk. You have to consider knowledge, understanding, behaviour and capacity for loss. All those things influence the risk level that should be taken.

Also, your timescale is on the higher risk side. An economic cycle is around 10 years. If you invest for a whole economic cycle, the chance of ending up with less money than invested is low. You are looking at 5 years with a regular contribution. So, the timescale is high risk as a starting point as most of the money will be invested for less than the ideal minimum of 5 years. Indeed, a good chunk of it will be invested less than the recovery period from a stockmarket crash. Regular contribution periods are typically better at 15 years.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mango111
    Mango111 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    That!!!8217;s really useful thanks for the replies. I guess for shorter term (~5 Years) I!!!8217;m best spreading around the best available high street savings accounts? They all seem to offer more than any other ISAs
  • Mango111
    Mango111 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    (Apologies, not sure what happened with he formatting there, sent from my phone)
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    (Apologies, not sure what happened with he formatting there, sent from my phone)

it is a problem with Apple devices
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That!!!8217;s really useful thanks for the replies. I guess for shorter term (~5 Years) I!!!8217;m best spreading around the best available high street savings accounts? They all seem to offer more than any other ISAs

I think this is a good plan. If you have money earmarked for spending in the next 5 years put it into something safe like saving accounts or National Savings. If you are sure you won't need it for 5 years you can lock it away and get a bit more interest.

For longer term investing and retirement Life Cycle funds are ok as long as you understand how the asset allocation changes with time. But, I think you'd be a bit better using Vanguard LifeStrategy funds or just putting a portfolio together of tracker funds.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    it is a problem with Apple devices

And windows 10. In reality, its a problem with the site as they have configured it in a way that causes this and then look to blame Apple (despite it happening on PCs as well).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Win7 too if you cut and paste.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts