Is it legal for shops to knowingly over charge?

Options
I went to a supermarket to buy a product I know is only £4.50, when scanned it came up at £6.
I told the customer services and was told they will look in to it.
I also told online customer support and finally they agreed it was the wrong price and should be the lower price.
I went to a dif shop in the chain and the same issue. This time all they did was to remove the correct price tag so customers don't know they are being over charged.

Question is, now that multiple people are aware customers are being over charged but still they are selling the item at the higher price. Is this illegal?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    If they're not promoting it at the lower price, they're not over charging.
  • Krh
    Options
    They are online, if I was to click and collect my shopping from the same branch I would only pay £4.50 not £6
    Also the online support confirmed to me that branch is only charging the lower price
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Krh wrote: »
    They are online, if I was to click and collect my shopping from the same branch I would only pay £4.50 not £6
    Also the online support confirmed to me that branch is only charging the lower price

So they're not over charging. They are advertising it at £6 online and people that order online are paying £6.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    I went to a supermarket to buy a product I know is only £4.50, when scanned it came up at £6.
    I also told online customer support and finally they agreed it was the wrong price and should be the lower price.
    I went to a dif shop in the chain and the same issue. This time all they did was to remove the correct price tag so customers don't know they are being over charged.

Question is, now that multiple people are aware customers are being over charged but still they are selling the item at the higher price. Is this illegal?
    Was not the item shelf priced at £6.00, if so why try to buy it?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Shops can charge whatever prices they choose for their goods.

It's entirely up to them whether they choose to sell an item for £4.50 or £6 or £20 or whatever.

However, if their pricing is misleading (e.g. The price on the shelf says £4.50, but they insist that you pay them £6 for it), you can potentially report them to Trading Standards via Citizens Advice. If trading standards get lots of similar complaints, they may take action.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds a bit like Halfords, one price for something on their website and one price in store.

Any time I've been in and the price is different, I've either clicked and collected while there, or shown them the online price and they match it
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    if their pricing is misleading (e.g. The price on the shelf says £4.50, but they insist that you pay them £6 for it).

The self label price is mearly an ‘invitation to treat’ the contract is formed at the till. Product x is offered for concideration of Y which on acceptance forms a contract. The buyer can reject Y and no so contract is formed.... Shirley?
  • ChrisK....._3
    ChrisK....._3 Posts: 920 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2018 at 7:54PM
    Options
    It is illegal to advertise one price and charge you more, but the problem is that if they dont volunteer to behave then you would need to take them to court, only for the judge to assess your damages which will amount to how much they over charged you and not a single penny more (Judges directive is to make you whole again)

Large companies know that consumer laws are toothless and companies such as Virgin, Jet2 and Currys will have no problems telling 1000 customers to take a hike knowing full well that maybe 1 of those wronged customers will take them to court where they will get their money back at BEST

At the other end of the scale companies like Tesco and Asda value their customers and if they are over charged they have a policy of OVER compensating their customers

If I ruled the world.......
  • ChrisK....._3
    ChrisK....._3 Posts: 920 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2018 at 8:08PM
    Options
    No they cant - its a flippant remark that assumes people just pick stuff up and make assumption on the price they are going to pay - they dont - in most cases people only buy stuff after they have been sold the price either by advertising or shelf pricing to which they have to adhere

and BTW you would not report anything to trading standards unless you felt they had any broken the trading standards .. and ergo you have just concede that it is in breech of the consumer laws
    eddddy wrote: »
    Shops can charge whatever prices they choose for their goods. ....you can potentially report them to Trading Standards via Citizens Advice
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    Nope - What you are suggesting is totally unrealistic and likewise your theory - If a product is advertised at £x price then that the price they have to charge you - the seller has the right to refuse the sale (if maybe they made a pricing mistake) but IF they sell it to you it has to be at their advertised price
    The self label price is mearly an ‘invitation to treat’ the contract is formed at the till. Product x is offered for concideration of Y which on acceptance forms a contract. The buyer can reject Y and no so contract is formed.... Shirley?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport