Is it legal for shops to knowingly over charge?

Options

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just been to Morrisons where pre packed Bassa Fillets are 3 for £10.
    But they are priced individually at £2,50.
    I pointed it out but i just got a 'ha, we thought it was funny wnen it came in'
    Idiot....
    I pointed it out again to Customer services, will make a point of checking it tomorrow.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Idiot....
    I pointed it out again to Customer services, will make a point of checking it tomorrow.

Seen this in a carpet shop once. The offer was something along the lines of £1.50 a mat or 3 for £5. Someone actually bought the 3 offer :rotfl:
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 September 2018 at 8:12PM
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Idiot....
    This is very common with multi-buy deals and so-called price cuts on larger packs of items. All the supermarkets do it to some extent. The savvy thing is to always check the individual unit price before buying.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    The self label price is mearly an ‘invitation to treat’ the contract is formed at the till. Product x is offered for concideration of Y which on acceptance forms a contract. The buyer can reject Y and no so contract is formed.... Shirley?

Correct in terms of contract law. However traders must comply with consumer protection legislation and it is an offence to display a false or misleading price indication.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whats the item ?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wum...............................
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    B&Q were good when i spotted some quality duck tape that just looked way too cheap. Grabbed a few rolls and it scanned at a much higher price.

I said ahh i thought it was £. pointed to the shelf opposite, its there marked at £ not ££. She pops over and has a look and then charges me the low price. Bargain.

I was expecting them to say its marked wrongly.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ChrisK....._3
    Options
    I had same when B & Q wrongly priced some Gardena Hose nozzles (normally £15 ish) for £7.95 in a basket and they charged me the full price and checked the basket price and charged me the cheaper price and removed the wrong ticket - Tesco of course have "Double the price difference" if they overcharge but you often have to ask for it - Many of the big companies such as Currys et all, will just take your money and run
    B&Q were good when i spotted some quality duck tape that just looked way too cheap. Grabbed a few rolls and it scanned at a much higher price.

I said ahh i thought it was £. pointed to the shelf opposite, its there marked at £ not ££. She pops over and has a look and then charges me the low price. Bargain.

I was expecting them to say its marked wrongly.
    If I ruled the world.......
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is normal for Tesco to have different prices in different stores..

Our local store charged more for some items than the bigger store in the town.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    it is an offence to display a false or misleading price indication.

I’m sure the threshold for this is pretty darn high.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure