DLA before diagnosis

Options
Hi my daughter is at the very start of getting assessed for Aspergers..we are looking at least another 18 months of examinations etc..Has anyone ever sucessfully received DLA for their child?if so what kind of proof will i need to send with the claim

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    General guide to claiming DLA here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/disability-living-allowance/help-with-your-dla-claim/help-with-dla-form/

There is a link half way down to a long but very good and detailed guide to completing the form. Plus comments on evidence needed
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What care or mobility needs does she have over and above another child of her age ?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DLA before diagnosis

Health benefits are given on need, not diagnosis. People with the same diagnosis can have very different care needs.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    An autism diagnosis (the UK no longer diagnoses aspergers) should only take a few weeks, an appointment with an ed psych followed by a call/meeting with the childs ped. Around eight weeks from start to finish.

DLA is based on need, not diagnosis. You will need to prove that she had care or mobility needs that a typical child of her age wouldn!!!8217;t have.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    An autism diagnosis (the UK no longer diagnoses aspergers) should only take a few weeks, an appointment with an ed psych followed by a call/meeting with the childs ped. Around eight weeks from start to finish.

DLA is based on need, not diagnosis. You will need to prove that she had care or mobility needs that a typical child of her age wouldn!!!8217;t have.

Diagnosis for children takes 18 months to 4 years depending on the NHS area you live in. Most authorities only accept a triple assessment, Speech & Language, Ed Psych and Pead then to a panel for decision. Ours took 2 years despite being relatively straight forward.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vix76 How old is your daughter?

As other posters have said, DLA is given for need, not for a specific diagnosis....you can claim DLA BEFORE she is officially diagnosed.

You will need to show she 'needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability' (quote is from the Gov.uk site)...this can be tricky - as ALL children need care, you need to be able to show that your girl needs substantially more than others her age.

I asked about her age, because if she is of school age there may well be a SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) at the school who may be able to help you identify those areas where you can claim she needs the extra help.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    Diagnosis for children takes 18 months to 4 years depending on the NHS area you live in. Most authorities only accept a triple assessment, Speech & Language, Ed Psych and Pead then to a panel for decision. Ours took 2 years despite being relatively straight forward.

I worked in this area and it would typically take eight weeks, we had a few take four if the ed psych was available earlier. Most authorities have ditched SALT as they are irrelevant where ASD is concerned.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    I worked in this area and it would typically take eight weeks, we had a few take four if the ed psych was available earlier. Most authorities have ditched SALT as they are irrelevant where ASD is concerned.

My son took two years to diagnose. This was after a number of years of being told that there was no problem. He has been 'different' since he was a baby, and I had sought help several times. At ten, he was diagnosed with depression, and again I was told that he wasn't autistic, although I was able to give plenty of examples of his traits and the concerns that I had.

It was only when he was fifteen and self harmed that CAMHS actually listened. Almost immediately I was told that his history meant that they were thinking of an Asperger's diagnosis. It took another twenty three months before we were told that he has high functioning autism (as it is no longer called Asperger's Syndrome).

I've never applied for DLA or PIP for my son, although I receive it for my other son, who has complex needs.
  • Electrum
    Electrum Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    You can indeed apply before the diagnosis

If you fill in the forms honestly and think carefully how many times a night you have to get up for the child things like that.

I got lowest level DLA, and am still on the long waiting list for a diagnosis

I have a question about how long you get it for? Im fully expecting it to stop or get a letter asking for more information.

How long does a claim useually last for?

Do they check to see if the child is still in the same condition?
  • Electrum
    Electrum Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    What happens when the DLA claim comes to an end?

Is it easy enough to get another claim? Or should the child go on to PIP or something else?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure