How much of a shop can be done at Aldi/Lidl?

Options
MrsSippi
MrsSippi Posts: 287 Forumite
edited 3 September 2018 at 5:30PM in Food shopping & groceries
I currently do 80% of my shopping at either Aldi or Lidl (we are lucky enough to have them both within half an hours drive) and do a toiletries shop in Asda. The reason for the Asda trip has primarily been because my youngest was still in pull ups at night so I would get these from Asda (lidl/aldi pull ups don't seem to last throughout the night) so thought while I'm there I might as well get some other bits that I find aren't great in Lidl or Aldi.

For example DH tried both aldi and lidl deodorants but didn't find them any good so we reverted back to a branded option he preferred. There were some other products (washing powder being one) that I tried Aldi and Lidl versions but wasn't that impressed with so again, went back to using our preferred branded make. I can get all my cleaning bits from Aldi or Lidl with the sole exception of Stardrops which I love and am lucky enough to be able to get in Asda.

Anyhow, dd is starting to have dry nights so I'm hoping to be able to stop buying pull ups altogether soon and I am wondering if I decided to go to Asda say once every 2-3 months and stocked up on the above mentioned products and a couple of other toiletries, would it be possible to just stick solely with Aldi and Lidl in the meantime?

I know there is a thread somewhere listing good and bad products for both shops but I am thinking more in a whats available (i. e. what do they sell) sense and how much of your shopping list do you manage to get at Aldi and/or Lidl?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    20%

ymmv :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    99%, but I've low use and low expectations :)

I don't want/need a vast range, so long as I can get something and it's in there that's good enough for me.... e.g. I'd like a choice of 30 quiches from Asda, but a choice of 2 at Lidl/Aldi is "good enough", so that's all I need.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aldi have improved their range massively in the past couple of years. I'd say you could definitely do almost your full shop there most weeks.

I'm fortunate in that I have lots of other options nearby but most of the things I buy in other than Aldi aren't fresh foods so I can stock up on them like you said about the toiletries and washing powder (incidentally I like the Aldi and Lidl washing liquids).

Examples for me would be a few herbs and spices as Aldi just do the popular ones, grapefruit squash which is a favourite of mine, proper Ribena, Yorkshire hard water tea bags.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Only stuff I don't get at Aldi these days is washing powder ( don't get on with theirs ) , dishwasher tabs ( don't find they clean as well) and gravy granules
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Options
    I like Aldi flowers, that's a out it
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Jewels1207
    Options
    MrsSippi I used to get my full shop in Aldi when it was convenient for me to go there. Similar to PasturesNew Im not bothered about having lots of choices of each product but I do like a good selection of things overall to be able to do the weeks shop. If that makes sense?
    I found that Aldi was slightly better than Aldi on that front but it's too far out the way for me. I'm going to try Lidl which is closer and see if I can do my full shop there.
    I actually really liked Aldis nappies and wipes and preferred them to Asda and Tesco. I use the nappy pants for during the day and full nappies at night to prevent leaks.
    However for convenience recently I've been going to Tesco and getting deliveries and their nappy pants seem to be twice the price. I'd rather get Aldis. I tried Lidl nappies years ago but they seem to have changed to a new range now. I will probably give them a go and see how they are
  • Jewels1207
    Options
    I meant to say I found Aldi was better than Lidl on that front. Sorry!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    All depends on your likes/dislikes of products, myself I reckon I could do say 80% from Aldi/Lidl, various bits from elsewhere.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Id say I get 95% of my shopping from Lidl ( don't have Aldi in this country ) the rest is brand names which I tend to pick up in savers or B&M, Home Bargains etc

I cook all from scratch so Im not really interested in shelves full of ready meals, tins and packets. I go in get meat, veg, bread, dairy and some frozen and deli items and thats me done really. Coffee and cereal get thrown in when needed, cleaning products, paper products, never had a problem with any of them
  • MrsSippi
    MrsSippi Posts: 287 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, they've been really helpful. I've had a think and I think I could easily cut out some of the bits I buy from Asda that are on top of the necessary toiletries (i.e. The bits I pick up because I think "I'm here anyway so I might as well get x, y and z"). Packed lunch stuff is a typical example of this, so I could start being stricter with myself and just stick to the absolute necessities and get the rest at Aldi or Lidl.

I have come up with the following items that I will stick to Asda (it's my closest supermarket) for as I really think they are either better there or Aldi/Lidl doesn't stock them:

1. Washing powder
    2. Deodorant
    3. Pull ups
    4. Toothpaste and toothbrushes (I know aldi and lidl sometimes stock these but tbh in my local stores its very hit and miss)
    5. Razor blades and shaving foam (tried but not impressed with Aldi or Lidl versions)
    6. Head and shoulders/shampoo/conditioner
    7. Stardrops
    8. Soda crystals
    9. 'ladies products' :o (sorry) :o

So from my next shopping visit I'm going to stick to this list and see how it goes. I might even see if I can stock up on enough of the above and then avoid Asda altogether until another 2-3 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure