How much of a shop can be done at Aldi/Lidl?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    suki1964 sorry to hear poor mog isn't keeping well - I think in that case he's allowed to be as picky as he likes.

what kind of things did Lidl have for Irish food? I am out of the grocery budget until Wed but might pop in after that (though I did a load of batch cooking the other weekend and we're pretty well stocked with everything else so I'm not sure I need much really)

All sorts, from flavourings like spice mixes, to different flavoured sausages ( one lot had cabbage in them ), seasoned bacon joints, white pudding, quite a bit of processed chicken bits, flavoured burgers, smoked trout pate etc

These were all new products, not the usual names they stock, definitely more "artisan"

I picked up some of the sausages ( all 85% pork) some pate and some of the spice rubs.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Just as well. Ocular involvement is particularly nasty, and unfortunately not confined to pets.

It is very nasty indeed :(

We are going to have to make a hard decision soon :(
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    suki1964 sorry to hear poor mog isn't keeping well - I think in that case he's allowed to be as picky as he likes.

what kind of things did Lidl have for Irish food? I am out of the grocery budget until Wed but might pop in after that (though I did a load of batch cooking the other weekend and we're pretty well stocked with everything else so I'm not sure I need much really)

Unless you live in Ireland you won't get the Irish themed food!

Lidl's have different offers for England, Ireland and Scotland!

Wish I had a Lidl nearer to me it's a 40 mile round trip but I much prefer it to Aldi which is a mere 16 mile round trip - but it's also just round the corner to Mr T's so I tend to split my shop between the 2 with some odd bits coming from £land; B&M or Iceland which are all on the way home from A & T's. I check prices for what I want at MySupermarket before I go and always have a list, which I don't usually go off unless there is a really good offer on something I regularly use but that doesn't happen very often.

Denise
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I am very impressed with this! But I feel that I have got to the point in life that I don't need to deprive myself of anything, besides which I'm happy to go to Lidl for a single item as the round trip gives me an hour's walk.

This week I bought some Imperial Leather shower gel (500ml+50% free) for 99p. Its been available for over eighteen months but has suddenly disappeared from the shelves of Poundland in favour of a much smaller bottle, so I stocked up. But otherwise Lidl's XXL shower gel is fine too.

We were on holiday in a cottage last year. Someone had left some shower gel virtually unused in the bathroom. I tried it and was very pleased, it was thick and creamy with a delicate scent. I was impressed when a closer look revealed it was Aldi:D. I found some in the local Aldi and stocked up, cant remember exactly how much it was, but under £1.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    Unless you live in Ireland you won't get the Irish themed food!

Lidl's have different offers for England, Ireland and Scotland!

Wish I had a Lidl nearer to me it's a 40 mile round trip but I much prefer it to Aldi which is a mere 16 mile round trip - but it's also just round the corner to Mr T's so I tend to split my shop between the 2 with some odd bits coming from £land; B&M or Iceland which are all on the way home from A & T's. I check prices for what I want at MySupermarket before I go and always have a list, which I don't usually go off unless there is a really good offer on something I regularly use but that doesn't happen very often.

Denise

It's a shame that you can't get some of the regional things in all the branches. OH likes haggis but is often told "we only sell it in Scotland". Unfortunately we are so far away another 20 miles and you'd be paddling in the English Channel:rotfl: We found the same thing in the Asda cafe, they advertised haggis as part of their breakfast but only available in Scotland
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    It's a shame that you can't get some of the regional things in all the branches. OH likes haggis but is often told "we only sell it in Scotland". Unfortunately we are so far away another 20 miles and you'd be paddling in the English Channel:rotfl: We found the same thing in the Asda cafe, they advertised haggis as part of their breakfast but only available in Scotland

Our local Lidl does Scotch morning rolls now - closet I've found in England to the proper Scottish ones (sadly nowhere I've found to date does well fired rolls )....not exactly a wealth of Scottish fayre though.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family