How much of a shop can be done at Aldi/Lidl?

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 September 2018 at 11:05AM
    Options
    Not had a great deal of experience of L or A plain Tuna, but I do quite like the Aldi Flavoured Tuna (small tins, around 60p). I used to buy top-end tinned Tuna from Sainsbury's many years ago, and no one seems to have anything quite as good (apart from some tuna steak slices I bought in France, once).

Unfortunately, the Flavoured Tuna has been missing from my Aldi for the past few weeks, but I regard them as the best of that kind of product I've had. (Hope they return soon).
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I didn't rate Aldi tuna.
    I posted this a few months ago:

Its nothing like tuna flakes. We are just talking tuna chunks in brine? They're pretty much the same as the brands.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    Its nothing like tuna flakes. We are just talking tuna chunks in brine? They're pretty much the same as the brands.

I'm afraid we have to agree to disagree.
    I've posted what I thought about Aldi tuna and - imho - it was definitely like cheap tuna flakes.
    I bought the tin in sunflower oil.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 September 2018 at 9:11PM
    Options
    He that pays the Piper calls the tuna. :)
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've posted what I thought about Aldi tuna and - imho - it was definitely like cheap tuna flakes.
    I bought the tin in sunflower oil.

I buy the Aldi Tuna Chunks in brine and they're fine, not flakes. The 4 packs have been our of stock for a few weeks now though.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    I buy the Aldi Tuna Chunks in brine and they're fine, not flakes. The 4 packs have been our of stock for a few weeks now though.
    I don't know if the quality of the tuna in brine is superior to that in oil but it's certainly not to my standard.
    'Fine' doesn't cut it with me.
    And the can was crap to open.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »

When they come back they will be a three pack.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I don't know if the quality of the tuna in brine is superior to that in oil but it's certainly not to my standard.
    'Fine' doesn't cut it with me.
    And the can was crap to open.

On the other hand, I prefer the ring pull as I find using a can opener the oil spills out the side.

I guess as the saying goes, “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't…please all the people all of the time"

Incidentally, stollen has appeared in my local Lidl already, not sure how I feel about Christmas stock quite this early but I do like their stollen.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Pollycat
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    On the other hand, I prefer the ring pull as I find using a can opener the oil spills out the side.
    I can cope with oil spilling out by opening the tin on a plate.
    But I find ring pulls (generally) flirt liquid contents all over the place.
    And I'm not messing about wiping oil splatters off tiles and worktops.
    Especially not for what I personally consider to be not great quality contents.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    almost everything is bought now in Aldi's or Lidl's and I rarely go anywhere else. I am not fussed about labels, I shop with the contents of my purse in mind. I mainly cook from scratch so never buy ready made stuff like quiches anyway as they ar cheap as chips to make( don't buy chips either ,just peel a spud slice into wedges, drizzle with a bit of oil and chuck in the oven on a tray. But then I only shop now twice a month and I am very easily pleased :):):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure