Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds wonderful, madvix! Have a great time :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Quick update - the post brought:

* 2x customised 'youghurt' from Onken and 2 x vouchers for a free pot too, that was a nice surprise (also some ice block/bag type things - have popped in freezer as I'm sure they'll come in handy
    * The book I won
    * Vouchers from Sains for £4.50 off when I spend £30 :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    A few days late, but hey ho... Bat walk was absolutely fascinating, although DH did think it was more of a 'batless stand' (it was at our university observatory, and I saw more bats than I've ever seen stars on the times I've been up there for that, so I'm calling it a win on the bat front!). There weren't many bats as it had been raining just a bit earlier in the evening, but we did see some and we all had bat detectors, so we could hear them. The talk before we went out was very interesting - it seems there's a lot we don't know about bats still, so it's an area where a lot of exciting work is being done. We got to see a bat close up too, as the lady had a rescued bat that had been hand-reared and didn't want to learn to fly. Very cute! The evening was free and included tea and coffee when we got there, so we were very impressed! Went back to mum's for a pizza afterwards :)

Not a particularly MSE weekend! Had to get the bus/train to brownies on Friday as my car was still out of action, so that cost nearly £10 (I don't run Brownies where I live now, but where I lived growing up - normally a 25 min drive away). Saturday we went to an event run by a brewery in London - not cheap at all, but a special event. We did save some money though as we walked to and from the station and didn't have dinner out in the end! Yesterday was better, although I've ordered a wood floor cleaning kit to hopefully save the bit where the cat peed on it - £46! (Shopped around though and saved £4 + P&P in the end.)

This week is looking pretty quiet fortunately - last week was busy! Have got someone coming to measure for carpet on Wednesday, so that will be the last chunk of DIY money for the moment (although the electrician has yet to come back to do the circuit board... appears to have disappeared off the face of the earth...). We will be finishing odd diy jobs around the house this week.

MS things:
    * DH has fixed my car (we think - testing tonight) and serviced it. I've no idea how much this has saved us, but judging by what Earthgirl was quoted for a brake pads change, it would be over £1k!
    * Daily comps done, must catch up with others
    * YG and NV surveys done
    * SBs and VB bits done
    * Am planning a shop using the first of the Sains vouchers
    * Cancelled veg box for this week as have plenty in
    * Sold a small item on ebay - ~£1.50 profit
    * Mum and I plan on doing boot sale next weekend (fingers crossed weather is okay as it's last chance before winter!)
    * Busy time with work, so should be able to start making a dent in the kitchen 'debt'.

Gratitudes:
    * Car is fixed (hopefully!)
    * Saw other niece and BIL and partner yesterday
    * Good time on Saturday with friends

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Well I've spent most of this week struck down by a really miserable cold. This hasn't been good for the purse sadly, as we ended up having takeaway on Tuesday night (DH hasn't been feeling too great either). I was feeling a bit better by Weds eve, so we used the last of the Nectar/Pizza Express vouchers to have a meal out - cost £10 :) Had a fairly successful shop at Sains, but didn't spend enough to use my money-off voucher. Did use the free yoghurt one and a couple of free pizza ones (from entering a comp), so saved ~£6 on the bill :)

Today is money shuffle day, so part 1 complete. Will have to wait until Monday for part 2. Money very tight still, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel as work for main client has been continuous and is likely to remain so for the next couple of months (as well as some other projects in the pipeline).

This afternoon I'll be ordering the carpet for the spare room - the underlay has already arrived (we'll fit this to save some money; we also had quite a bit left over from hall carpet). The window cleaner came and did our gutters this morning... I am embarrassed to say we've never cleaned them in 5 years (although there aren't any trees nearby to cause leaf blockages). He only wanted to charge £30, but he was at least two hours, so I gave him £45. There was a lot of dirt! A wood floor kit has just arrived, so hoping we'll be able to salvage the floor in the loo where the cat weed.... it's going to be a busy, busy weekend! (We're having people over next weekend, so there's quite a bit we'd like to get properly finished by then.)

Am off to do a boot sale with mum tomorrow, so hopefully will sell a few bits there. It's the end of the season, so the organisers are only charging £5 :)

MS things:
    * Boot sale tomorrow (if it's dry!)
    * Saving on underlay
    * £6 saved from Sains shop
    * Won tickets to a theatre show :D
    * Daily comps done, will catch up with others later
    * VB, SBs done (inc survey)
    * Free baby food for my niece from Shopm!um

Gratitudes:
    * Cold and flu remedies
    * Toad in the hole for dinner last night
    * Car **is** fixed - DH took it to work for a proper run today, so I have his - freedom! (but too much work to make the most of it! :rotfl: )

• Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loved the sound of the bat walk. You have inspired me to look for stuff like that locally.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hope you feel better MV and good luck with the boot sale! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • themadvix
    Options
    Watty, the local Wildlife Trust might have similar - when mum and I were looking on our local one's website the other day we were amazed at how much there was going on!

Thanks Jess!

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a great month you have had overall ,a lovely new kitchen ,a camping holiday in North Norfolk and to top it all some great competition wins .Sorry to hear about the cold though ,hopefully you are feeling much better today for the weekend .
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Take care of yourself at a boot sale while still suffering from that cold, even if its on the way out. Must try to use those Sains vouchers myself, there were loads came through the door all in one go.

Hope your weekend is a nice one, even if you do have to get lots of jobs done.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    Thanks all! No chance of getting worse KC, although I was concerned in the week about that .... got to mum's packed her car (having already packed and then unloaded my stuff into hers), got to the boot sale place, only to find the field was waterlogged and it had been cancelled!! :eek: Have spent most of the day repacking and sorting the stuff so it can 'overwinter' at mum's (so glad she's got room for it!). Am as exhausted as if we'd done the blimmin' boot sale now!

DH has been busy while I've been out though, so at least one of us has achieved today!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback