Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chorltonian
    • By chorltonian 17th Jul 19, 1:42 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 2Thanks
    chorltonian
    0 WOW
    Vueling Overbooking - Denied Boarding
    • 17th Jul 19, 1:42 PM
    0 WOW
    Vueling Overbooking - Denied Boarding 17th Jul 19 at 1:42 PM
    Would appreciate some advice here .. my wife and I were travelling from Manchester to Barcelona in May, and when I tried to check in online I was unable to without buying a seat. I should have spotted the warning signs there, but didn't and when we arrived at the check-in desk we were told the flight was full and we would be on stand-by along with (eventually) 9 others. We didn't get on the flight.

The handling firm, Menzies Aviation, were pretty awful and lied to us several times, but to be fair to them they could only relay what Vueling "control" were telling them.

They offered rebooking on the next available Vueling flight the following evening (so 24 hrs later), but there was a Jet2 flight the next morning which would get us to Barcelona just in time to meet up with friends and a connecting coach. They refused to book us on this, claiming first that they didn't code-share with Jet2, and when we pointed out this was irrelevant they decided they couldn't book it as we weren't guaranteed a seat.

I eventually got so frustrated with them that I booked the Jet2 flight myself, in order to save the holiday, and checked-in online with a seat number there and then, with the intention of claiming the money back later. And it was a lot of money.

Whilst all this was going on they made us fill out a form for the statutory compensation, 250 Euro each, which they have since paid. And they put us in a hotel for the night prior to us flying the following day, but it also cost us a night's hotel in Barcelona which by then could not be cancelled.

It's weeks of emailing, with hopeless answers, phonecalls much the same until this morning when they have finally emailed stating that compensation was already paid and so there won't be any other refund for other expenses.

So I'd like to know if they can do this? They failed to request any volunteers to be bumped, as per their stated procedure, and they failed to book us onto the next available flight which I understand to be their obligation.

It is worth pursuing? and what would be the best channel, as I think I read somewhere that they don't respond to Resolve and aren't in the ADR scheme.
Page 2
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 19th Jul 19, 4:40 PM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    Ganga
    Highly unlikely that we will have comparable rules in place: no other country does.And I think that people should be reminded of what we are about to lose...
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Do you think that the" Leavers" are that interested in something that affects so few people?not a criticism but we take about 5 holidays a year and have never had to make a claim (might just be lucky )
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

361Posts Today

4,664Users online

Martin's Twitter