Plusnet to post office just don't do it !!

Options
Due to go live two days ago (booked date over 6 weeks ago - financially I had to move). Have spent an easy 4 hours each day on phone to the two providers being passed from one department to another...Have explained I am sole carer to two people and they must be able to phone my landline 24/7.

Post office just say something must have gone wrong (maybe hardware, software or could be anything else!!) and they will raise a support ticket which I should get a response to in 48 hours. My phone since midnight on changeover day has no dial tone but oddly plusnet internet working.

Plusnet can't deactivate my account/line (they tried 4 times but rejected) as then there is nothing for post office to takeover and I'd have to get a new line set up which would take weeks. I've just got a plusnet bill for £38 (purely standard rate line rental and basic broadband in advance for month) which they will take in 4 days (they assured today the bill would be the final zero one, clearly not) - I am going to have to cancel direct debit as simply can't have them trying to take that amount.

Any suggestions please as to how best to escalate action and consistent /correct information from both providers please. So very stressed now.....

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    First of all don't cancel the direct debit to Plusnet, it's an in-advance payment. When you have a final bill any credit gets refunded. You cancelling the debit is just going to complicate things.

It is the new provider's responsibility to do the switching so harp on at them until there is a resolution. Consider if its possible to move somewhere else, though check as whether this will attract early exit fees from the Post Office - probably not as you're not with them at the moment.
  • Oceana8
    Oceana8 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wish I could afford to let the DD go and then await a refund but I simply don't have the funds to let that happen. Plusnet assured me today I wouldn't end up paying anything in advance then tonight I got an e mail with a bill. I would have rather they just cut off the line (the phone isn't working anyway) but that is not an option.

Whilst there wouldn't be termination fees with post office I can't be without a phone for a new 10-14 transfer period (I'm sole emergency contact for family).

Even the topcashback £50 although tracked still hasn't after 6 weeks been confirmed by the post office.

Would it be the post office responsibility to pay the bill do u think? PO customer services really of no help I get the feeling my type of calls are v v regular.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You've always paid it in advance with Plusnet (and most other providers come to that) so it is no different now to how it always has been. The bill system is automated so it would have been generated before you were told what you were told.

Do you not have a mobile phone whose number you can hand out temporarily?
  • Oceana8
    Oceana8 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Plusnet put in writing that I could cancel the DD. Post office telecoms closes for weekend so they have flagged to review on Monday why implementation delayed (everyone I speak to gives conflicting information) I now have phone line back from plusnet and the plusnet broadband still ok although they say line deactivated so it's impossible !! I have no idea who will have responsibilty for paying costs from original go live date on 5th and when/if it does ever transfer.

All has been and still is very stressful so my advice to anyone unless they have no choice like myself is to avoid post office telecoms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure