I hate Grout !!

Options
Please can anyone come up with a "cheap" way of getting my bathroom grout back to white, i've seen the grout whitener in B&Q but it's so expensive, i've tried bleech & toothbrush and it worked a little, was think of Caustic Soda or Bi carbonate ?? any ideas would be great :o

Comments

• sec79
    sec79 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sprayed oven cleaner on mine and left it for about 15 mins (make sure you open the window!) Then scrubbed at the grout with a old toothbrush. That cleaned the grout better than any of these fancy cleaners which claim to clean your grout. The oven cleaner cost me about £2 i think. It was a spray on one, which produces foam.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know
    if you can use a steam or pressure washer to clean grout.

i have some black mould and no windows ( its an internal bathrooms, with a fauly extractor that wont be replaced) Woud love to make the bathroom spick & span.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • jamesb1239
    jamesb1239 Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    I've seen it done with steam before with quite good results, the best way to do it will always be to scrape out the old and put in new but thats an expensive way to keep it clean lol. Personally i just use the whitening pen things, i know it just covers it up but its good enough for me lol :j
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    You are never going to have a moisture and mould free bathroom until the extractor fan is replaced.
    I must try the oven cleaner tip.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ill try the oven cleaner tip too, a lot cheaper than buying a steam cleaner!

Was it Mr muscle?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
  • sec79
    Options
    [QUOTE Was it Mr muscle?[/QUOTE]

Yes (just checked)! And you can finish the can by cleaning your oven - very MSE! I got the tip out of one of these thrifty books. And after these two arduous tasks treat yourself to a small tipple!
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just tried cheapie pound shop oven cleaner on some grim grout behind my cooker. I now have bright, white grout :j
    I now have to do the rest tomorrow :mad:

I sprayed a bit onto a saucer, dabbed an old toothbrush in it and gave the grout a little scrub and rinsed off. Result :T

Sec79 - you have my undying gratitude :beer::A
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • sec79
    Options
    If you actually spray the oven cleaner onto the grout and leave for 15 mins. then scrub away at it with a toothbrush - this is what I did.

Unfortunately the grout doesn't not stay white forever, so you may want to repeat this every couple of months if you find the grout getting grubby again.

It doesn't smell very pleasant so afterwards you might want to rinse over with some washing up liquid to remove the smell.
  • Rosebery_2
    Rosebery_2 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Let me get this straight then:

1. grout whitener is too expensive but works.

2. oven cleaner works and its very cheap but you have to repeat every 2 months.

Reality check says zero saving then and if anything the second one is probably more expensive over the course of a year.

Cheers
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Much more MSe to use oven cleaner as most of us have it anyway. :beer: im sure i have alittle dreg around im going to try in a bit :j hope its easier than the scrubbing i usually do - i too hate grout. When we buy out our own house Ive decided we are going to have sheets of glass instead of tiles ( seen it on telly once :p) a lot easier to clean, no grooves :D

Ive tried the grout pens and to be honest if youve even a trace of black mould it wont work.
    This Ive come to know...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills