Smart Meters and Energy Monitors

Options
pjaj
pjaj Posts: 117 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've recently had my second smart meter installed. The old one from First Utility was first generation and my new company, Octopus Energy, couldn't read it. In addition I've recently bought an e-Golf so I wanted to go over to Economy 7 (OK Octopus have just introduced an even cheaper tariff for EV owners). Along with the new meter came a Pipit 500 energy monitor.
Now I'm quite happy with having a smart meter, I will only pay for what I use, no estimated bills.
But what is the use of the Pipit? OK, I can see what I'm using at any one instant, but then I've used that energy, I can't get it back. Worse, there is no way of downloading the readings. If it's anything like the old meter it took 48 readings a day and sent them to First Utility and, up to 18 months ago, I could then download them.to my PC for analysis. The Pipit claims it stores 13 months worth of readings, but if you can't access them other then via a very poor display interface then they are useless.
I'm a retired electrical engineer, but I fail to see the real use of these energy monitors.
Sent from my abacus.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There isn't a real use for the IHD. They are a sop to the consumer to get buy in to the project. Indeed in most cases when the IHD dies, that is it for the consumer. Most suppliers will not offer a replacement and most IHD's are installer linked to 1 meter only. So no DIY linking of a replacement.
    If only the Pipit 500 had been designed by some one with a bit of foresight (and the whole project to be frank). then the data would be easily accessible to the consumer who is footing the bill for this fiasco.
  • pjaj
    Options
    I completely agree. About 10 years ago I had a similar device that was a 3rd party add-on to an older "dumb" meter. A current clamp around one of the meter tails coupled to a transmitter box talking to a remote display unit. Interesting but useless.
    As for the Pipit 500 design, what is really annoying is that it has a micro USB port, but it's only for power, you can't access any data through it. I even contacted the manufacturers, Secure Meters Limited, and they confirmed that
    1) They couldn't / wouldn't help me.
    2) The USB port was power only.
    3) Ask my electricity supply company for information - been there, done that - no help.
    4) There was no way they were prepared to admit that any third party device / software could access the data broadcast from the meter to the Pipit.
    I think, if I can be bothered, I will now look for a modern 3rd party device that will interface to a PC and abandon the Pipit.
    Sent from my abacus.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pjaj wrote: »
    I've recently had my second smart meter installed. The old one from First Utility was first generation and my new company, Octopus Energy, couldn't read it.

Out of interest, is your new smart meter second generation ?
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a second generation meter? Less than 1k installed so far.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Does anyone have a second generation meter? Less than 1k installed so far.

I didn't think so I wasn't sure after reading the post.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »

There were reports in the Press last month that the Data Communications Company (DCC) is having ongoing problems with the wifi technology needed to support the rollout of SMET2 meters. Unlike SMETS1, SMETS2 meters establish a wide area network (WAN) which means that no single meter is dependent on having one to one contact with the DCC.
  • pjaj
    Options

I'm not sure. How would I tell?
    it can talk to any supplier, not just the one who installed it. "Multi operator (roaming) SIMs supported" and can be remotely programmed.
    It's a Secure Liberty 100
    http://securemeters.com/index.php/products/residential/utility-retailers/smart-metering-electricity/liberty-100/
    Sent from my abacus.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm not sure. How would I tell?
    it can talk to any supplier, not just the one who installed it. "Multi operator (roaming) SIMs supported" and can be remotely programmed.
    It's a Secure Liberty 100
    http://securemeters.com/index.php/products/residential/utility-retailers/smart-metering-electricity/liberty-100/[/QUOTE

One of our meter readers will tell us how long these have been about - I have a pair at least 4 years old. They are dreadful to read.

They may talk to any supplier but are set up to speak to a specific one - they are not transferable like SMETS2 will be.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »

They may talk to any supplier but are set up to speak to a specific one - they are not transferable like SMETS2 will be.

SMETS2 meters do not communicate directly with any particular supplier. They connect point-to-point or via a Wide Area Network to The Data Communications Company (DCC) smart meter hub. Suppliers then connect their system to The DCC hub. There are 'plans' to upgrade foundation meters to SMETS1 and to graft them on to The DCC via a separate portal. The latter is to ensure that cyber security is not compromised.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Robin9 wrote: »

SMETS2 meters do not communicate directly with any particular supplier. They connect point-to-point or via a Wide Area Network to The Data Communications Company (DCC) smart meter hub. Suppliers then connect their system to The DCC hub. There are 'plans' to upgrade foundation meters to SMETS1 and to graft them on to The DCC via a separate portal. The latter is to ensure that cyber security is not compromised.

Thank you for the technical explanation.

May I suggest that what is important to the man in street is not how they work but that they do work.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport