PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Options

Comments

• Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I’d like to read 4 a month
    [*]Children’s book The Iron Woman by Ted Hughes read for work
    1. Classic The Great Gatsby read first chapter
    2. Non Fiction The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin on my Kindle App. I’ve read all her books so Im looking forward to this one.
      A room swept white by Sophie Hannah impulse CS buy
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    Charly27 wrote: »
    I’d like to read 4 a month
    [*]Children’s book The Iron Woman by Ted Hughes read for work
    1. Classic The Great Gatsby read first chapter
    2. Non Fiction The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin on my Kindle App. I’ve read all her books so Im looking forward to this one.
      A room swept white by Sophie Hannah impulse CS buy

Sophie Hannah is excellent. :)
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 January 2018 at 2:59PM
    Options
    Charly27 wrote: »
    Might keep a look out for number 3 although I’m 54 this year so I might have to lower my sights!

It was really good and a very positive book. It made me think about the different areas of my life and what I need to improve before I retire.:) It is a very easy read as well, which is refreshing, as lots of information on retirement can be quite heavy going.

I've now read 3 books this year. Mastermind (I read some of that in 2017 so it was just finishing it off) Watching the English and the rest of the retirement book.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 January 2018 at 7:24PM
    Options
    I have started posting on another OS thread and spotted this one, so may I lurk please, i work in a library, after a career at Waterstones, so although I now no longer need to read up to 8 books a week, Im finding it difficult to identify new authors I might like for the more relaxed reading schedule I am now enjoying, I also have an extremely large stash of unread books, but I do like a nice conversation about my favourites
    So my apologies if I dont post much, but I shall enjoy all the chat and maybe interject occasionally?

elmer

Ps I am currently reading the new Chris Brookmyre Places in the Darkness, Im on the first chapter and as its set in space, Im keen to see where he goes with it.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Welcome, elmer.
    elmer wrote: »
    I now no longer need to read up to 8 books a week
    :T:T:T We’ll be looking to you for suggestions!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In the interests of honesty, I did work in the children's department, so 4 of those books were children books, but I didn't count the picture books at all.

I always felt that being paid to work with books was my ideal job, but I am really enjoying the library now, its similar but much more time for chat and no sales targets, and I am only there 1 day a week, its my favourite day of the week

elmer
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Finished
    21412232.jpg

It was an engrossing read, a bitter sweet tale. The relationships between characters seem at times a little "controversial", but all comes together to make a coherent story in the end.

Next on my list is:-
    1040701.jpg

Been on my kindle for ages,so about time i read it.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    I just finished reading Letters To The Midwife which are personal letters written to the author Jennifer Worth by fans of her Call The Midwife trilogy of books and her personal handwritten replies. I found the whole book absolutely fascinating and I would personally give this book 9/10 :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    almost finished a book I picked up on Saturday by accident from the library Its called Baby Doll by Hollie Overton and its one of those can't-put-it-down books. quite scary at times, my next book will be Nella Last's Peace which I also got on Saturday
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good to see your recommendations! I'd be interested to hear what you think of the book on Brunel, Syman.

Have slipped back into my slovenly habits and am actively and half way through 4 books atm, so expect a deluge of reviews by the end of the month!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure