PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Options

Comments

• sugarbaby125
    Options
    I finished reading The Hunt by T.J. Lebbon in the early hours of the morning because I just could not put it down. It is a very fast paced, taut, thriller. What would you do if suddenly your life was turned upside down because your wife and children are being held hostage and you are told that you have become the human target in the hunt? I would give this book 9.5/10 :D
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Days Without End - Sebastian Barry!

It’s our book group choice and I can’t put it down! Such beautiful writing, with a very clear narrative voice. I am reading it quite slowly as I relish every word.

It’s set in America during the Indian and, later the Civil War.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Finished the Brunel book.
    What an amazing engineer he was. His achievements would be amazing even with today's tech. What he did with the tools available to him are truly spectacular. The book also explored the darker, more ruthless side to his nature.

Also, we know about the GWR, bridges and ships. What i found remarkable was that he had so many projects running concurrently.

Next book is back to murder and mayhem...

34500937.jpg
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not much of a bookworm as I never used to have the time to read or just it didn't appeal to me ,
    but I have a lot of my books still in a cardboard box and would like to have less screen time.

I've begun to read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children but not too far into the book yet.
    I've set myself a good read challenge of reading 10 books, biggest me just picking up A book is a big thing for me lmao
  • Syman
    Options
    2674644 wrote: »
    I'm not much of a bookworm as I never used to have the time to read or just it didn't appeal to me ,
    but I have a lot of my books still in a cardboard box and would like to have less screen time.

I've begun to read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children but not too far into the book yet.
    I've set myself a good read challenge of reading 10 books, biggest me just picking up A book is a big thing for me lmao

I think the trick to getting your reading up is to find an author, or subject you enjoy and go for that. Then you can branch out for similar writers and subjects.

Don't pressure yourself into reading a book just because you have bought, or been given it.
    The last book i read i bought in 2013, but just wasn't "feeling it" finally read after 5 years on the kindle.

• greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doh! Lost my post!

My challenge for 2018 is to read the books I already have! Somehow I seem to attract them, e.g. a bowling friend of my husband has been sending me (and his wife's) his finished books! I have never met the man and he doesn't have clue what my taste is!

Rather than just grabbing any book off the shelf, I am going to 'read the alphabet', by titles. That'll do 26. After that I'll do books with numbers in the title. It's unlikely, but if I finish that lot I'll go back to the alphabet, but by author.

I'm cheating a bit and starting with 'O' because I started Philippa Gregory's "The Other Queen" last year. I'm not a great fan of historical novels, but I like Mary, Queen of Scots. I did enjoy this book.
    26157381499_f7f5a99e98_m.jpgqueen by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

My list is
    A - "According to Yes" by Dawn French
    Not the greatest literature but a quick read.
    28026643469_81a43f7ca6_n.jpgA by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    B - "The Black Swan" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    What have the invention of the wheel, Pompeii, the Wall Street Crash, Harry Potter and the internet got in common? Why are all forecasters con-artists? What can Catherine the Great's lovers tell us about probability? Why should you never run for a train or read a newspaper? This book is all about Black Swans: the random events that underlie our lives, from bestsellers to world disasters. Their impact is huge; they're impossible to predict; yet after they happen we always try to rationalize them. A rallying cry to ignore the 'experts', The Black Swan shows us how to stop trying to predict everything - and take advantage of uncertainty.
    I think this will be a 'dip in and out' book
    28026643529_19356618a9_m.jpgB by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

I have plenty of 'C' titles to choose from.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A bit late to the party, but Book 1:

8e6787bd4d978155a8508aae49f8.jpg

7/10. I liked this book for a number of reasons, and the plot line was probably the least of it! The familiarity of many of the locations described, the humanity of the characters, and their progressive views given the time set this apart. It was also very funny in parts.

Am making substantial progress on several others :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Syman wrote: »
    I think the trick to getting your reading up is to find an author, or subject you enjoy and go for that. Then you can branch out for similar writers and subjects.

Don't pressure yourself into reading a book just because you have bought, or been given it.
    The last book i read i bought in 2013, but just wasn't "feeling it" finally read after 5 years on the kindle.

So true are those words Syman. I have bought books in the past and persevered and seen the reading of the book a real chore. Over the past few years, with an author I don't know of, I will read the first chapter via Kindle to see if I like the style of writing and this makes it easier for me to decide whether to part with my money via kindle (if reasonably priced) or go to the library even. I have also stopped reading books that I am not getting after a couple of chapters as there are too many books and so little time.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • Syman
    Options
    CurlyTop wrote: »
    So true are those words Syman. I have bought books in the past and persevered and seen the reading of the book a real chore. Over the past few years, with an author I don't know of, I will read the first chapter via Kindle to see if I like the style of writing and this makes it easier for me to decide whether to part with my money via kindle (if reasonably priced) or go to the library even. I have also stopped reading books that I am not getting after a couple of chapters as there are too many books and so little time.

I don't finish books i am not enjoying either, and for exactly the same reason, however, i do hang on to them.....Just in case i have a change of heart!

• Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just finished 'The Power' by Naomi Alderman. I didn't love it quite as much as I thought I would, but it was an interesting read. Quite graphic in parts though. For fun I'm just about halfway through 'Greensleeves' by Eloise Jarvis McGraw, which is a really charming YA novel from the 70s about a girl who goes to live in a small community for the summer whilst investigating the terms of a really odd will. I saw it recommended on a book blog recently and saw that it was quite cheap for the Kindle, and if you like that sort of thing I'd definitely recommend it. I've also just finished 'Too Marvellous for Words!' by Julie Welch, which is a biography of Julie's time at a girl's boarding school in the 60s. That was an enjoyable and fairly quick read - I saw it recommended in an article about Ysenda Maxtone Graham's 'Terms & Conditions', which I read last year. That's a sort-of memoir of girl's boarding schools from the 30s to the 70s, again a quick read but very enjoyable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure