BT Infinity: offer to reduce speed

Options
BT has offered me a saving of £0.50 a month at the end of my contract to downrate my broadband speed from 76 Mbps to a lower speed. How strange that BT markets a speed reduction to its customers.

However, they will hike my price by £4.50 a month to retain my 76 Mbps.

So the price of my new contract for Infinity 2 and Anytime 'phone calls would be £51.49 a month or £59.49 out of contract.

I telephoned Zen, which would charge £51.40 for a 12-month contract, i.e. £0.09 a month less than BT's offer.

I am not sure that I want to haggle.

Zen looking at reports would seem the better option given that I have no need of the extras. Does anyone recommend Zen?
I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Zen has a very good reputation.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you. I think that I'll go with Zen unless BT lowers the price substantially.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Options
    Sign up to a new provider, BT will then see you are serious about leaving, they will then give a better offer. You have 14 days to cancel the new provider if BT better the new deal.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    +1 for Zen.

Been with them for 12 years. Although more expensive than a lot their service and customer support are excellent.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    Sign up to a new provider, BT will then see you are serious about leaving, they will then give a better offer. You have 14 days to cancel the new provider if BT better the new deal.

Thank you. I wouldn't wish to mess the new supplier around.

BT's marketing approach is extraordinary. They offer massive incentives to obtain customers, and then do everything possible at the end of the minimum contract period to get rid of them. I've never come across an ISP before that tells a customer but he or she can save money by reducing speed.

Customers must be very complacent in accepting this unfriendliness.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    BT updated my post-contract renewal price for Infinity 2 today to £56.49 a month with weekend calls for a 12-month contract. That's £60.99 with Anytime Calls. This represents a price hike of £9.50. I really cannot be bothered to negotiate. I have screen imaged the offer price.

I have just contracted with Zen ("Big Deal") for £42.50 a month for 24 months for their equivalent package.

That's a price difference of £60.99 (BT) versus £42.50 (Zen). Zen is £18.49 a month cheaper. And Zen is considered to be a premium provider.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Having terminated, BT came back reducing its best offer from £61.99 to £34.59. All too late in the day for me!

They told me that I should have turned a blind eye to their offers to me and telephoned to haggle (-:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure