PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Refusing to pay renewal fee

Options

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does you tenancy agreement have a clause in it which allows them to serve you notice to a specific email address? Or did you receive one served to the property as well?

Its not a scam. Does the company website detail their costs? Usually a tenancy agreement will detail the additional fees required and at what intervals.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    HampshireH wrote: »
    Does you tenancy agreement have a clause in it which allows them to serve you notice to a specific email address? Or did you receive one served to the property as well?
    Good point. S21 usually has to be served at the property. Check your tenancy agreement and do not acknowledge that you have received the S21.

Another reason not to be replying.
  • Mark64uk
    Mark64uk Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    1) Stop makig offers and emailing. The agent has made their position perfectly clear and as others have said is just interested in their fee. They will not change their mind

3) the S21 may or may not be valid. The timescale sounds right (2 calender months) but worth checking all the other factors. See my link for full details. If it's invalid, don't tell them. Just wait and contest it at court

Ill stop communicating with them from now on.

Had a quick look at the s21 checklist and although I've not had a paper copy of the s21 yet in the post so it could be included with that i have not had how to rent guide given to me.
  • Mark64uk
    Mark64uk Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2017 at 7:08PM
    Options
    HampshireH wrote: »

Its not a scam. Does the company website detail their costs? Usually a tenancy agreement will detail the additional fees required and at what intervals.

I understand its not a scam maybe shouldn't of used that term maybe Rip off would be better.

This is the agents website

http://www.livedifrent.com/

I had a quick look and cant see anything about serving notice via email the original tenancy was signed electronically via docusign if that makes any difference.I have not had one in the post yet it was only issued today so could come shortly.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mark64uk wrote: »
    I understand its not a scam maybe shouldn't of used that term maybe Rip off would be better.

This is the agents website

http://www.livedifrent.com/

I had a quick look and cant see anything about serving notice via email the original tenancy was signed electronically via docusign if that makes any difference.I have not had one in the post yet it was only issued today so could come shortly.

Now Rip Off I completely agree with. Their website is very clear what is expected in terms of fees and how much,

Having looked at their facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/pg/LiveDifRent/reviews/it would seem you aren't alone and many people have been stung by this new policy they introduced.

Your |£110 isn't a goodwill gesture - its been applied to others for the same reason. Others have also been served a S21 so either the landlord is extremely ignorant to his LA or they are quite happy with the practices being employed.

Heads up..... your next Thread will be about not getting your deposit back. See link above and visitors posts/reviews
  • G_M
    edited 3 October 2017 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Mark64uk wrote: »
    ....... i have not had how to rent guide given to me.
    What date did your original tenancy start?

The full checklist is worth doing.......

See S21 checklist here.

If you don't receive a paer copy by post by 5th Oct, then it may well be invalid as expiry date is 5th Dec
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It will cost you a lot more than £150 to move. I get its annoying but seems silly to me to try and prove a point. The landlord and agent won't care at all.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask them to clarify in what capacity they see themselves acting.
    Agent to landlord only,. of so you have no contract with them and should inform them of this and state you will deal with the landlord only.
    Agent to tenant and landlord as in tri party agent, which is how they are acting, in which case you have equal bargaining power and can simply sack the agent.

A new one would have to be appointed.
    I would inform them they are sacked as agent in the tri-party agreement for unreasonable behaviour.
    See what they thing to that.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2017 at 8:03PM
    Options
    Agent to landlord only,. of so you have no contract with them and should inform them of this and state you will deal with the landlord only.
    Agent to tenant and landlord as in tri party agent, which is how they are acting, in which case you have equal bargaining power and can simply sack the agent.

I would inform them they are sacked as agent in the tri-party agreement for unreasonable behaviour.

How many more times are you going to post this tri-party bull$hit on the forum? For hopefully the last and final time, the tenant has no contract with the letting agency, the tenant's contract is with the landlord.
  • G_M
    Options

What the .....???
    OP - please ignore this legal gibberish.

You have sensibly said above you will not contact the agent further. Contacting with this approach is the worst thing you can do!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure