Missed Flights

Options
Hi all

Had a torrid time of late with bad luck and a stressful period which led to missing flights.

In fact, due to various reasons, I missed a total of FOUR!

The first was a last minute rush to sort out my partners passport and tickets as she wasn't sure she could come away, in the end we found a way to cancel her plans and because of the stress involved in sorting it all in 24 hours, we ended up leaving her passport at home! Couldn't believe it. Overly maticulous normally with this kind of thing. Actually I left it in the printer because I was making photocopies that morning.

So that meant missing our flight and having to book another for the next day.

We then missed this one, because somebody attempted to commit suicide on the track and delayed our train for an hour. This meant by the time we got to the airport, they had closed the gates and refused us entry.

Not ones to give up, we then tried a third time the following day. We managed to get this one, but unfortunately, I passed out from the exhaustion of it all when at the connecting airport (it was a two leg flight) and because we only had 40 mins to get to the next flight, we missed it.

We stayed here for a couple of nights before deciding to come home.

I attempted to fly out once more last week but sadly, as I was about to board the plane, I had a bit of breakdown and couldn't fly out. I suffer from mental health issues and recently discovered a close family member has cancer, so I've had a lot to deal with.

So basically, I've lost a lot of money over the last month or so and I want to try to claw back as much as possible, if at all possible.

I wonder whether section 75 is of any use, as all was bought on credit cards? Particularly for the missed flight due to train incident?

I contacted the train company but they have said I can only claim for delay pay (which is worth about £30) They say they're not responsible for the delay. I could argue that their handling of the situation was not appropriate or efficient.

I have travel insurance so of course that is a route.

It wasn't a package holiday, it was all individually bought. I also lost out on some hotel stays.

I hope you can help, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I've lost about £3000 from it all :(

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The first was a last minute rush to sort out my partners passport and tickets as she wasn't sure she could come away, in the end we found a way to cancel her plans and because of the stress involved in sorting it all in 24 hours, we ended up leaving her passport at home! Couldn't believe it. Overly maticulous normally with this kind of thing. Actually I left it in the printer because I was making photocopies that morning.

So that meant missing our flight and having to book another for the next day.

no compensation/refund for this flight as it was 100% your error

We then missed this one, because somebody attempted to commit suicide on the track and delayed our train for an hour. This meant by the time we got to the airport, they had closed the gates and refused us entry.
    this will be one to check your travel insurance policy to see whether they cover

Not ones to give up, we then tried a third time the following day. We managed to get this one, but unfortunately, I passed out from the exhaustion of it all when at the connecting airport (it was a two leg flight) and because we only had 40 mins to get to the next flight, we missed it.
    I assume you saw a doctor and will have medical certificate you can give to your insurance

We stayed here for a couple of nights before deciding to come home.

I attempted to fly out once more last week but sadly, as I was about to board the plane, I had a bit of breakdown and couldn't fly out. I suffer from mental health issues and recently discovered a close family member has cancer, so I've had a lot to deal with.
    If your health issues were disclosed as pre-existing condition and covered by your policy then this will be another question for travel insurance

So basically, I've lost a lot of money over the last month or so and I want to try to claw back as much as possible, if at all possible.

I wonder whether section 75 is of any use, as all was bought on credit cards? Particularly for the missed flight due to train incident?
    not section 75 as this would be if the airline failed to provide the flight(s) to you

(
    ...you may be able to claim APD back from the unused flights but other than that you will be at the mercy of your travel insurance policy and what is covered
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why would you use section 75?
    That would be for if the airline was at fault - it’s not their fault you didn’t turn up or couldn’t fly, so it’s rather unfair to claim it back this way.

Luckily S75 claims are assessed by the CC company so it’d be thrown out - I think travel insurance is your only hope.
    Sorry to hear of your troubles and bad news.
  • fightbackshaun
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills