New TV recommendations please

Options
Hi
I'm in the market for a new TV. I think 55" would be about right. I don't want to spend more than around £700 and obviously I would be happy to spend less! What is the best I could get for this money, in your opinion?
Thanks

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hisense 55u7a - available from Richer Sounds at £599 inc 6 year warranty
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally, I'd be inclined to stick with the more well known makes like Sony, Panasonic or LG. They all do 55" models in your price range.

I'd second using Richer Sounds, especially for their extended warranty and customer service.
  • Bigphil1474
    Options
    I'd third using Richer Sounds as their advice is usually good, and they weren't pushy salespeople last time I went. It's been a few years since I got my TV (about 5?), but I narrowed it down to an LG or Samsung. Went to Richer Sounds and Currys to see the TV's in action, and bought the LG from Hughes Direct - at the time I got about £100 cashback deal.
    I can't fault the LG Tv I have. You need to decide what you want it for e.g. internet access, smart TV functions, recording TV etc. As I haven't looked for a while, not sure what the standard features are, but also consider whether you want to future proof, e.g. 4k, and look at warranty. Mine has been spot on, but that could be just luck. I don't think the Hisense TV's are built to last, although they are usually significantly cheaper. Just avoid going for the cheapest big screen you can find, as you do tend to get what you paid for with TV's.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Another Richer Sounds fan here. I bought my Panasonic Plasma from them approx 8 years ago. Its still going well and has as good a picture as the best of the LCD s when it comes to motion control
    Plasma s are not being made anymore and probably my next TV will be an OLED screen. They appear to have the most natural and vibrant colours and contrasts and the prices are dropping fast.
    Along with the 6 year guarantee I noticed that Richer Sounds offer a discount voucher of up to £100 which appears to rotate through various makes and models on a rota .
    I delayed in buying my preferred LG 55 inch OLED when they had the £100 off the UKs best price for the model I was interested in and it ended before I clicked on it..
    They also have some terrific low priced TVs in their special offers but the guarantees on these are only one year, not six
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think the Hisense TV's are built to last, although they are usually significantly cheaper. Just avoid going for the cheapest big screen you can find, as you do tend to get what you paid for with TV's.

Until recently, I'd tend to agree with you ....but the latest Hisense TVs have had pretty good reviews across the piece and the 55U7A was actually recommended by AV Forums. Also I've just seen an older Hisense 65" and was very impressed with the quality.:)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hisense quality has improved, but in the UK there is minimal service back up: I've heard that spares are near-unavailable even for recent models.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 4 September 2018 at 6:03PM
    Options
    Not a good time to be looking for a new TV the new 2018 models are generally priced high and there is very low stock of the 2017 models.

have a look at the pricing profile of TV on pricespy.

this was one of the best 2017 mid range models
    https://pricespy.co.uk/audio-video/tvs/samsung-ue55mu7000--p4234695?q=samsung%207000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure