Renting - Backdated Water Bill

Hey guys hoping to get your advice on my water situation- first post here but I’ll try and keep this quick and to the point:

Moved into a private rented property in 2010 all good setup all bills except water. My last two rented properties included water and like an idiot I assumed this did to - my fault.

Roll on to 2018 and I noticed in the pile of junk mail a “to the occupier” from a few months back asking someone to setup water. Panicking I rang them and informed them of the date I moved in. They said they backdate one year as well as this year and took my details and landlord details. I asked if i needed to inform the landlord they said no.

My concern is this - are they going to start chasing my landlord for the remaining years? Ultimately I called expecting them to backdate in full and accept full responsibility but I’m aware that landlords are generally liable in these circumstances - I just don’t want my landlord to be hit with the remaining years.

Comments

• 6100253 wrote: »
    Hey guys hoping to get your advice on my water situation- first post here but I’ll try and keep this quick and to the point:

Moved into a private rented property in 2010 all good setup all bills except water. My last two rented properties included water and like an idiot I assumed this did to - my fault.

Roll on to 2018 and I noticed in the pile of junk mail a “to the occupier” from a few months back asking someone to setup water. Panicking I rang them and informed them of the date I moved in. They said they backdate one year as well as this year and took my details and landlord details. I asked if i needed to inform the landlord they said no.

My concern is this - are they going to start chasing my landlord for the remaining years? Ultimately I called expecting them to backdate in full and accept full responsibility but I’m aware that landlords are generally liable in these circumstances - I just don’t want my landlord to be hit with the remaining years.

I didn't know the landlord would be generally liable in these circumstances.
    So you maybe have already a head start on me.

Still, you could always contact the landlord and pay him what you have made him liable for:)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

A water company can backdate bills for 6 years.

Presumably it is an internal company code of conduct that only backdates to the previous year. Or the person you spoke to has made a mistake!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure