When Ebay goes against you.

Options
2»

Comments

• Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If something you brought broke after a couple of uses wouldn't you send it back,?
  • Brummie85
    Options
    Spank wrote: »
    If something you brought broke after a couple of uses wouldn't you send it back,?

Not if I'd broken it myself. But I get that people do try it on. They have a new phone, drop it and then go back to the store next day. Or buy a new car and scratch it in the first couple of days and then ask the dealer to repair it etc.

It wasn't in need of repair when it got to her. I know that the zip and pull were intact and correct when I sent it out. There was nothing 'shoddy' about it. Not a crease, mark, scuff or broken part. It arrived the same way - to assume that I sold someone something of poor quality is being a bit presumptuous. That zipper was fine and I tried it maybe a dozen times, the difference being I was reasonably gentle with it. It's a purse after all, not a tug of war. How much force do you actually need to open a brand new and perfectly working zip.

And this is a forum for a 'rant' so I feel like i'm in the right place to air my frustrations about how badly Ebay favours buyers, even in cases that it shouldn't. There are some bad sellers out there, so buyers do need protection. But there are some dishonest customers that abuse the way Ebay backs buyers (I'm not saying this lady is a bad buyer) without any real question. It has made me wonder how many people have lost out on significant amounts because the site has wrongly gone against them.
  • Brummie85
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    It helps to look at their situation assuming they are honest, rather than rather cynically assume they are all liars.
    Presumably they sent you a photo of the broken zip? What more proof do you need?
    You could have given them a full refund and got the item returned.
    I accept returns, I've nothing to lose.

She did send 2 pictures after I asked for them.

Taking an open and broken purse back is a loss - It wasn't what was sold. By the time you consider return postage and the hassle of repairing the bag, then selling it again for less... offering to pay towards the repair was the more sensible (but still frustrating) option.

I would have accepted the return if she'd insisted. But I prefer not to take items back generally. I got sent back a broken item that wasn't mine a few years ago,I only discovered the scam when I checked the serial number and it didn't match the one on the item sent. After a few choice words on the telephone whilst explaining to them I knew what they'd done, I eventually got my original equipment back. The only upside was that it ended up costing them a fortune in postage all the way round !:D Hopefully they'll not think about doing that scam again.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2018 at 9:52AM
    Options
    Brummie85 wrote: »
    She did send 2 pictures after I asked for them.

Taking an open and broken purse back is a loss - It wasn't what was sold. By the time you consider return postage and the hassle of repairing the bag, then selling it again for less... offering to pay towards the repair was the more sensible (but still frustrating) option.

I would have accepted the return if she'd insisted. But I prefer not to take items back generally. I got sent back a broken item that wasn't mine a few years ago,I only discovered the scam when I checked the serial number and it didn't match the one on the item sent. After a few choice words on the telephone whilst explaining to them I knew what they'd done, I eventually got my original equipment back. The only upside was that it ended up costing them a fortune in postage all the way round !:D Hopefully they'll not think about doing that scam again.

You are more than a little self obsessed..
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Options
    I see her point. But you must understand mine. That purse was factory fresh. The zip is fine, it was the puller that she broke. I managed to open and close it perfectly when checking the purse prior to packing it and sending it to her. Either MK make a weak puller or she mishandled it, but I lost out.

You onward sold shoddy goods. The correct course of action would be for you to return it to whoever sold it to you for a refund/replacement. If you're too late to do that or don't have proof of purchase, that's your problem, not your buyer. With faulty/poor quality goods, the refunds/returns has to go through the chain back to the original supplier.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Options
    Not if I'd broken it myself. But I get that people do try it on. They have a new phone, drop it and then go back to the store next day. Or buy a new car and scratch it in the first couple of days and then ask the dealer to repair it etc.

It wasn't in need of repair when it got to her. I know that the zip and pull were intact and correct when I sent it out. There was nothing 'shoddy' about it. Not a crease, mark, scuff or broken part. It arrived the same way - to assume that I sold someone something of poor quality is being a bit presumptuous. That zipper was fine and I tried it maybe a dozen times, the difference being I was reasonably gentle with it. It's a purse after all, not a tug of war. How much force do you actually need to open a brand new and perfectly working zip.

And this is a forum for a 'rant' so I feel like i'm in the right place to air my frustrations about how badly Ebay favours buyers, even in cases that it shouldn't. There are some bad sellers out there, so buyers do need protection. But there are some dishonest customers that abuse the way Ebay backs buyers (I'm not saying this lady is a bad buyer) without any real question. It has made me wonder how many people have lost out on significant amounts because the site has wrongly gone against them.

I find it difficult to believe you tried the the zip a dozen times to test it. Who DOES that?!
  • Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I find it difficult to believe you tried the the zip a dozen times to test it. Who DOES that?!

Especially as the OP claims it was still in the origional packaging.

But that's beside the point, OP just because it worked a dozen times dosen't mean that it was made properely and didn't have an inherant fault, which has been pointed out to you already that you should take it back to where it was bought from.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure