PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Girls:)
    Still no word from the builder, n no sign of him on fb, so think he's done a runner, luckily not with my money:rotfl:Think I'm postponing the work until next year, need to try n get my health a bit more stable first:o
    LL my Grandkids both refused to play with the baby remotes, they wanted the real thing, so we gave them old ones to play with:rotfl:
    Just waiting for a Morrison's delivery, it was free delivery!!! What's that a about? :eek:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My Champagne moment yesterday was using my Odeon Limitless card to buy a ticket to watch the film Once Upon A Time In Hollywood at Odeon Leicester Square.

This time the champagne turned out to be flat. :( The 1st annoyance was finding that if I want a recliner seat in the stalls for Screen 1, then I now have to pay a £5 premium on top of using my Limitless card. :p Then the film turned out to be the biggest disappointment. :(

Once upon a time in Hollywood
    is the worst film by far that Quentin Taratino has ever produced. :( It was chaotic, disjointed and utterly boring. :eek: I actually fell asleep for at least 30 minutes for this 3 hour long film and still felt that I had not missed anything. :rotfl: The end of the film has a very, very violent scene which was so gory and graphic, that I had to cover my eyes with my hand and I am not a squeamish person. :eek: This whole scene did not seem necessary considering the absence of action in the rest of the film especially as the virulent violence was men attacking 1 man and 2 women. :(

We all have different tastes when it comes to what makes a film great entertainment regardless of the genre of the film, but the majority consensus of people who have watched the film and written a public review has concurred with my personal review of this film.

I would not recommend this film to anyone. I would give this film 3/10 and that is only because of the fine acting of Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt who were so easy on the eye even if I did not like the characters they were playing.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I bought a new red trench coat on sale (only £13.50 reduced from £20) some earrings with a discount and some new perfume from Amazon today.:A
    My Champagne moment yesterday was using my Odeon Limitless card to buy a ticket to watch the film Once Upon A Time In Hollywood at Odeon Leicester Square.

This time the champagne turned out to be flat. :( The 1st annoyance was finding that if I want a recliner seat in the stalls for Screen 1, then I now have to pay a £5 premium on top of using my Limitless card. :p Then the film turned out to be the biggest disappointment. :(

Once upon a time in Hollywood
    is the worst film by far that Quentin Taratino has ever produced. :( It was chaotic, disjointed and utterly boring. :eek: I actually fell asleep for at least 30 minutes for this 3 hour long film and still felt that I had not missed anything. :rotfl: The end of the film has a very, very violent scene which was so gory and graphic, that I had to cover my eyes with my hand and I am not a squeamish person. :eek: This whole scene did not seem necessary considering the absence of action in the rest of the film especially as the virulent violence was men attacking 1 man and 2 women. :(

We all have different tastes when it comes to what makes a film great entertainment regardless of the genre of the film, but the majority consensus of people who have watched the film and written a public review has concurred with my personal review of this film.

I would not recommend this film to anyone. I would give this film 3/10 and that is only because of the fine acting of Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt who were so easy on the eye even if I did not like the characters they were playing.

I think Quentin Tarantino is very overrated! I liked Pulp Fiction a lot, though.
  • Susan1962
    Susan1962 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I'm a long term lurker, first post, hope that's ok?

I spent the afternoon decluttering and rearranging my big old fashioned wardrobe. I got rid of so many just in case things, and culled ruthlessly. The champagne moment came when I realised that I actually have some lovely things in there, previously unnoticed. Now intending to wear them and enjoy them. And it cost nothing but some time!
    Looking ahead
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 August 2019 at 8:40AM
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Hello Susan. Good to hear from you and that you enjoyed your wardrobe sort out and rediscovered some of your nice things. I need to edit mine again. Like you I want to pare it down. I am only going to keep things that make me feel like a million dollars.

Some great champagne moments. On Wednesday I hosted a family dinner for 11. I cooked a feast and we had a wonderful time.

Second champagne moment.....it looks like I might be going back to work.:D. Only part time with an agency who provides temporary cover. Doing what I did before, selling new build houses. I've worked with this agency before. I will need to do some training to refresh and upgrade my skills and familiarise myself with new legislation.

Anyway I'm meeting up with them next week. Wish me luck.

Looks like we are in for some fine weather. Maybe summers last hurrah so I'm going to make the most of it. Off into the city this morning before it gets too hot. Might have a little browse and a bite to eat.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend. Keep those champagne moments coming.
  • lessonlearned
    edited 23 August 2019 at 8:38AM
    Options
    Saving the best champagne moment till last........

It concerns my youngest son. Hope you don't mind my parental pride but this story bears out one of my mottos that I live by and that I have taken great pains to teach my children.

"Persistence Pays Off".

After graduating my son couldn't find work in his chosen discipline so he went to work in a garden centre. He enjoyed the work and was happy to be earning. He has been there for around 10 years. He is well liked and respected but it's a bit of a dead end job, no real opportunity for promotion or advancement but it's been a great learning curve and he has developed a lot of professional and personal skills.

A year ago he decided it was time for a career change so he started retraining as an electrician. He paid for the course himself and continued to work alongside his studies. During term time this meant he worked or studied 7 days a week.

He also needed to try and get a placement with an electrical contractor as an apprentice. He has been trying for over a year with no success despite often getting as far as the third interview. He just couldn't overcome the final hurdle (his age, he's 33).

He decided to change tack and contacted contractors offering to work as an intern for free. Again no takers. I could see he was starting to get despondent, unsurprising really but both his girlfriend and I urged him not to give up having come this far.

Last week he sat down on his day off and cold called over 30 firms and agencies. Again no joy. Yesterday he received a letter from one of them thanking him for his interest but they were sorry .........he decided to ring them and try his luck again.

They offered him a job on the spot. .....not as an unpaid intern but a proper job. Apparently "they liked his style" :rotfl:

I am so pleased for him and so proud of him. He faltered but he never gave up, even though there were times when he felt like throwing in the towel.

He will be starting at the bottom again but that doesn't matter. He's got a foot in the door, he will work hard and be a success.

Forgive my maternal pride but it's the best champagne moment a mother could wish for, to see my son doggedly soldier on and overcome the obstacles in his path to finally achieve his objective

Especially when he said....."you're right Mum, persistence does pay off".

Bless his cotton socks.
  • mrs_slapshot
    Options
    LL that is an amazing, inspirational story! I can see why you are so proud of your boy. Persistence does indeed pay off - a similar thing happened to me when I wanted to change career in my late forties. He must feel amazing too - I know I did!

Interesting about your potential new job - I must admit, selling houses or somehow being involved in property is an interest of mine, and I am secretly hoping when I 'retire' from my full time role that I will be able to do something like that too. I have no qualifications or experience other than having improved three homes of my own and being an avid 'Homes Under The Hammer' fan :rotfl:

Welcome to Susan too - you have inspired me to sort my own wardrobe(s) out! I have lost 3.5lb this week on the first week of my SW diet, only another 12 or so to go and I can fit into half of my wardrobe again!

Any other lurkers out there please do post - this is such a warm and welcoming thread so don't be nervous. Your post could motivate and inspire others like many on here have done for me. I had a lovely PM from a lurker the other day about connecting my laptop to my tv - so helpful!

On a totally different note - LL have you watched the latest episode (11) of The Handmaid's Tale yet? It was amazing!

Have a wonderful bank holiday weekend all - I am planning a solo visit to the cinema - maybe to see Hobbs and Shaw. I love The Rock!
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Mrs S I am going to PM you.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Yes I watched Handmaids. Brilliant episode. The worms are finally turning.........:rotfl:
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Susan1962 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a long term lurker, first post, hope that's ok?

I spent the afternoon decluttering and rearranging my big old fashioned wardrobe. I got rid of so many just in case things, and culled ruthlessly. The champagne moment came when I realised that I actually have some lovely things in there, previously unnoticed. Now intending to wear them and enjoy them. And it cost nothing but some time!

I did that with my wardrobe too. It's weird a lot of people hang onto things that they don't wear or even like!:D

I'm making an effort to wear the newer things I bought and my jewellery and perfume everyday even if I'm not going out anywhere.:)
    Second champagne moment.....it looks like I might be going back to work.:D. Only part time with an agency who provides temporary cover. Doing what I did before, selling new build houses. I've worked with this agency before. I will need to do some training to refresh and upgrade my skills and familiarise myself with new legislation.

Anyway I'm meeting up with them next week. Wish me luck.

Oh wow, good luck!

Have a wonderful bank holiday weekend all - I am planning a solo visit to the cinema - maybe to see Hobbs and Shaw. I love The Rock!

I want to see that too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure