MSE News: Co-op, Halifax and Lloyds customers hit by banking chaos

Options
"Many bank customers are unable to access their cash or account information this afternoon ..."

Comments

• mazman83
    mazman83 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went to check my balance at the atm for my coop account and it was declined.

Same goes for online and iphone app. Haven't tried using my debit card to buy anything today but I hope I this get's fixed soon:(
    BSC Member 351
  • yorkiepudd
    Options
    MSE_Guy wrote: »
    "Many bank customers are unable to access their cash or account information this afternoon ..."

Went to the shops earlier. Co-op debit card declined (even though my wages were in this morning when I checked). Tried atm but no services available. Got worried when Nat West machine said my card had been DECLINED (rather than service unavailable).

Went to Post Office, same again, declined. Tried to access my account online via my phone, no joy, so I rang the CS line (from my mobile :eek:) went through the authorisation sequence only to receive a message at the end saying all services were offline, please try later !!! (not given option to speak to anyone :mad:)

2 hours later and the co-op service status still says nothing, although internet banking does say it's not available at the mo.

Worst thing is our other account is with the Halifax, so hope we can get some money for the weekend :(
  • Mockingjay
    Mockingjay Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Spent an hour getting my weekly shop in tesco & card was declined at the till. Thoroughly humiliating! Couldn't get money out at the cash point & their call centre is 'not currently working'.

As I didn't have another card I had to leave my shopping & drive home with nothing :(
    CC1 - [STRIKE]£8746[/STRIKE] £2801 71%
    :o LBM September 2012 - Current DFD Oct 14 :o
  • mazman83
    mazman83 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just out of curiosity I tried texting for my balance and I got this reply back.
    We are sorry but this service is currently unavailable; please try again later. Alternatively you can use the internet or a cash machineCo-op Bank

I had to laugh really:wall:
    BSC Member 351
  • pete_v
    pete_v Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax online banking logs in ok, but has no actual statement information. Just a message saying "Sorry, but this account information isn't available right now. Please try again later."

Glad I keep £200 backup cash under a brick in my house...

Pete
  • yorkiepudd
    Options
    pete_v wrote: »
    later."

Glad I keep £200 backup cash under a brick in my house...

Pete

Wish I had a brick like that lol.

As it's our 1st pay day after all the monthly payments have gone out we are down to the contents of the kids money boxes if we can't get any money tonight:o

At least I have fuel in the car for work in the morning :rotfl:
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    After the Natwest/RBS meltdown earlier this year, it is soul-destroying to see that some people still have all their eggs in one basket - - - i.e. still rely on a single bank for money.

IT problems and system outages can always occur. If such incidents just cause inconvenience, people can cope somehow. But if people are left without food or other essentials because they can't pay even though they have the funds, that's critical.

MSE, and Martin Lewis personally, should campaign to their subscribers/readers that everybody should have at least one credit card, even one with a low limit, alongside their bank account and credit card. Ideally, having more than one current account with unrelated banks is also desirable - though I appreciate this may not be possible for everybody.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've banked with the Co-op since before time began, and can't remember a time when I've noticed a problem like this affect me, being unable to access my money.

I'm of an age where I can remember going to my local post office or co-op handybank (a little counter somewhere inside a co-op food shop) to cash a cheque - an old fashioned but effective manual system of getting at my money.

If the credit card system went down in shops, manual card processing would take place (remember those little carbon-paper receipts anyone?).

Has the notion of any kind of manual back up system completely left us? When the computer says no are we just stuffed?

Mistakes will happen and systems will fail. Manual backup worked well in the past. Some method should be reinstated.

Having all of my banking with the Co-op has never been a problem in the past. If the notion of manual backup has been eradicated , then sadly innovate is right, the backup method is now down to the individual to have a back up account of some sort.

Although, I thought Co-op and Halifax/Lloyds were different systems - is it just coincidence that they have both failed at the same time? Not much point in a back up if the back up fails at the same time.
  • pete_v
    pete_v Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    I'll be very interested to hear what caused this one. Current and former Natwest technical folk on The Register's site managed to piece together what happened in that case; I hope the same happens here.

(The companies involved will never tell us, of course. They never do.)

Pete
  • yorkiepudd
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    After the Natwest/RBS meltdown earlier this year, it is soul-destroying to see that some people still have all their eggs in one basket - - - i.e. still rely on a single bank for money.

Exactly why we have 2 seperate accounts. 1 with the Co-op and 1 with, errrr the Halifax. Damn, both of them don't work :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure