Options after eBay refunded fraudulent buyer Please

Options
TIMBO
TIMBO Posts: 37 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Good morning ,
I sold a washing machine on eBay for £280.00. the buyer came to inspect and collected the item.
Several days after getting it home he sent a message through eBay to say it was not as described and had parts missing. He demanded a 60% refund or I had to arrange to collect the item at my own cost. All of the "faults" are false so I raised a case with EBAY - who without asking for my proof found in the buyers favour stating " as they cannot see the item they have to take the buyers word " and I should have collected the item while my eBay case was being investigated. EBay have stated the buyer can also keep the washing machine as well as receiving a full refund.( why and is this lawfully binding?)

As I can reasonably prove the comments were false can I demand to be allowed to retrieve the washing machine and hopefully recover the courier costs involved?
Or can I take them to the small claims court to recover my costs and machine.

Having tried to escalate this to eBay I have found them to be without integrity and their response has been a series of automated emails fobbing me off without responding to my questions and clear request to raise a complaint .
Any feedback gratefully received thank you .

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TIMBO wrote: »
    Good morning ,
    I sold a washing machine on eBay for £280.00. the buyer came to inspect and collected the item.
    Several days after getting it home he sent a message through eBay to say it was not as described and had parts missing. He demanded a 60% refund or To come and collect the item. All of the "faults" are false so I raised a case with EBAY - who without asking for my proof found in the buyers favour stating " as they cannot see the item sthey have to take the buyers word " and I should have collected the time while my eBay case washing investigated. EBay have stated the buyer can also keep the washing machine as well as receiving a full refund.

As I can reasonably prove the comments were false can I demand to be allowed to retrieve the washing machine?.
    As I now know EBAY support is without integrity and their response has been a series of automated emails fobbing me off without responding to my questions and clear request to raise a complaint .

This sounds really odd, can you clarify, how did they pay please?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TIMBO
    Options
    Thank you for your help
    They paid with PayPal
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for your help
    They paid with PayPal

That's a shame, PayPal on a collected item is never a good idea- for future reference have a look at the sticky thread about collection only problems.

How did you raise a case? only a buyer can open an SNAD.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Paypal and collection, oh dear...

They could have just said they have not received it and you would have had no proof. Dont take paypal for collection items.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• F&L
    F&L Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    Did the buyer open a not as described case or a return case? Either case would have gone against you due to ebay almost always siding with the buyer in these cases.

The buyer though cannot keep the item as they've been refunded, no matter what ebay told them. You will though need to arrange to get the item back. I would contact the buyer and ask when is convenient to collect it. You always have the option of the small claims court if the buyer does not cooperate.

£280 for a second hand (?) washing machine seems high based on what I paid recently for a brand new one. Was it under warranty? It's a difficult item for parts to be missing from.
  • TIMBO
    edited 22 March 2019 at 5:18PM
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.
    Based on your answers I can try, again, to get my machine back.
    In answer to your questions
    1)The machine was almost new and had four years warranty remaining, I sold it 1/3 off the price of a new one.
    2)The buyer opened a case saying "not as described" and made accusations that were false and , had I been allowed to provide documentation I could have proved were false. The claims then got exaggerated further and added to after I refused to give a 60% discount.
    I have already asked the seller to provide a phone number for a courier to arrange to collect the machine but they have not replied so I shall send a letter registered post requesting the same and advising I will escalate to the small claims court if they do not reply. ( thank you for the advice)
    If you are considering using ebay please note the following
    1) at least two of the replies I received to my detailed appeal and complaint letters are automated responses that have been sent without considering my communications. Also the staff operating the telephone appeals line are diabolical and have no customer service focus what so ever.
    2) It appears that even if you challenge an ebay decision based on misinformation that you can disprove , ebay will still expect you to collect the item within 5 days even while the appeal is in progress (defeating the point of an appeal and allowing the buyer to hold you to ransom) . Coincidently the discount amount claimed by the buyer is about the same as the cost to collect the item.

I also learnt yesterday that ebay have charged me £25. to give away my machine . I, personally , will not be using ebay ever again.
    To the lovely people on this forum - thank you for your kind help and support. It goes a long way to restoring ones faith in human nature.
    Best wishes Tim
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.
    Based on your answers I can try, again, to get my machine back.
    In answer to your questions
    1)The machine was almost new and had four years warranty remaining, I sold it 1/3 off the price of a new one.
    2)The buyer opened a case saying "not as described" and made accusations that were false and , had I been allowed to provide documentation I could have proved were false. The claims then got exaggerated further and added to after I refused to give a 60% discount.
    I have already asked the seller to provide a phone number for a courier to arrange to collect the machine but they have not replied so I shall send a letter registered post requesting the same and advising I will escalate to the small claims court if they do not reply. ( thank you for the advice)
    If you are considering using ebay please note the following
    1) at least two of the replies I received to my detailed appeal and complaint letters are automated responses that have been sent without considering my communications. Also the staff operating the telephone appeals line are diabolical and have no customer service focus what so ever.
    2) It appears that even if you challenge an ebay decision based on misinformation that you can disprove , ebay will still expect you to collect the item within 5 days even while the appeal is in progress (defeating the point of an appeal and allowing the buyer to hold you to ransom) . Coincidently the discount amount claimed by the buyer is about the same as the cost to collect the item.

I also learnt yesterday that ebay have charged me £25. to give away my machine . I, personally , will not be using ebay ever again.
    To the lovely people on this forum - thank you for your kind help and support. It goes a long way to restoring ones faith in human nature.
    Best wishes Tim

Tim,

It's very sad when things like this happen and sometimes it is difficult to try to work out from a short post, what exactly went on.

Please do not think I am picking your comments apart but if I could ask a few questions and offer some suggestion it may help you.

Cases on ebay (and Paypal) have strict rules and guidelines and it seems you may have fallen foul of some of them.

With eBay the seller is given 8 days to resolve the situation after the case is opened. In ebay's eyes, the only way to resolve it is to accept the return or refund without a return. If you don't resolve it the buyer can ask eBay to step-in and rule. They nearly always rule for the buyer and mostly the ruling is to give a full refund (from the seller's money) without a return being made. It sounds like this is what happened.

Whilst I appreciate you say you had no provision to offer your evidence, it actually is true that you can upload any evidence to the case itself. However, regardless of that, it would perhaps have been futile as ebay normally rule in the favour of the buyer and so most sellers realise it is best to accept the return and refund on return.

I understand you did appeal.... although I am not sure why you didn't manage to get the collection within this time? As for the "discount the buyer wanted" and the "cost for collection" I am not sure of the relevance but you were free to arrange your own collection and certainly this is what you should have done.

You now find yourself in a difficult situation. A letter to the buyer is the way forward, although legally, this should be via standard post rather than a registered method - the law accepts that standard post (your certificate of posting will prove you sent it) is sufficient to suitably evidence safe receipt and registered post can literally be the downfall as the buyer is likely to refuse it, meaning you haven't actually achieved what you wanted.

Send the letter - you will find a template on google that you can adapt - if you google 'letter before action'.

In the meantime, I would appeal to ebay via message* and ask them to review your evidence and make a reimbursement as you are an inexperienced seller and thought you had done all you could. It will likely do nothing, but it is worth doing - include all of your evidence that was missed at the first time.

*use the help pages to get to the email us page or better still respond to the appeal rejection.

The fee you have been charged is the final selling fee, you would have got that back had you accepted the return but that is also something you could ask ebay to waive in your message.

Good luck.
  • TIMBO
    Options
    I have been advised by Citizens advice Consumer Services ( 0345 040506) that , as a private seller, I am not protected by the distance selling regulations but bound by Ebay and Paypal Terms and condition's . Therefor I cannot enforce the return of the dishwasher.
    As a result I have
    Had the purchase payment taken from me
    Lost the dishwasher
    Paid eBay £25.00 for the privilege .

If anyone has further information or advice it would be greatly appreciated .
    Thanks Tim
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning ,
    Several days after getting it home he sent a message through eBay to say it was not as described and had parts missing. He demanded a 60% refund or I had to arrange to collect the item at my own cost. All of the "faults" are false so I raised a case with EBAY - who without asking for my proof found in the buyers favour stating " as they cannot see the item they have to take the buyers word " and I should have collected the item while my eBay case was being investigated. EBay have stated the buyer can also keep the washing machine as well as receiving a full refund.( why and is this lawfully binding?)

As I can reasonably prove the comments were false can I demand to be allowed to retrieve the washing machine and hopefully recover the courier costs involved?

Having tried to escalate this to eBay I have found them to be without integrity and their response has been a series of automated emails fobbing me off without responding to my questions and clear request to raise a complaint .

I have been advised by Citizens advice Consumer Services ( 0345 040506) that , as a private seller, I am not protected by the distance selling regulations but bound by Ebay and Paypal Terms and condition's . Therefor I cannot enforce the return of the dishwasher.
    As a result I have
    Had the purchase payment taken from me
    Lost the dishwasher
    Paid eBay £25.00 for the privilege .

If anyone has further information or advice it would be greatly appreciated .
    Thanks Tim

Confused, how many items are involved?
  • F&L
    F&L Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    The response you had from theonlywayisup is what I would do yet you don't seem to have taken any of their advice given? Ebay rules do not override the law and a buyer cannot have the item and a refund. The longer you leave this the more the buyer is likely to claim they disposed of the "faulty" item as ebay told them to do so. Often the threat of taking action will spur a buyer into action.

Send a letter before action by standard post and get a certificate of posting. Also send a copy of it by email. You may get no response but a buyer will know you're serious when they get the court claim. There are clear costs if you have to file a claim but this is probably the only recourse you have.

Is the buyer local to you as they collected the item? If they were simply a scammer they would have just claimed non-delivery so perhaps some damage occurred in transit or they felt on reflection they'd overpaid so wanted something back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure