Which is best Condenser Boiler to buy?

Options

Comments

• seancannon
    Options
    All boiler have good and bad feed back, being an installer i visit people and they moan about boilers not lasting, and yet when you see the way some of them are throw in and benchmark book not fill out, you know it was done on the cheap to save money (and did it?)i fit on average 2 vallient a week and very rare do i get a call back. bit of advice if its an old system get it flushed first and fit a scale inhibitor. with combi,s the secondary heat exchangers get scaled up pritty quick without one.
  • seancannon
    Options
    egduj wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a new gas condenser boiler and would appreciate any tips or advice as to which is the best one to buy and what to look for.
    All boiler have good and bad feed back, being an installer i visit people and they moan about boilers not lasting, and yet when you see the way some of them are throw in and benchmark book not fill out, you know it was done on the cheap to save money (and did it?)i fit on average 2 vallient a week and very rare do i get a call back. bit of advice if its an old system get it flushed first and fit a scale inhibitor. with combi,s the secondary heat exchangers get scaled up pritty quick without one. this should cost around 1600
  • lrr_2
    lrr_2 Posts: 945 Forumite
    Options
    c123 wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a central heating system & been advised that a Worcester Condensor would be good and will cost £3K to install fully - terrace hse 3 beds + attic. Any thoughts re if this is a good deal or what the Worcester is like please?

I was less than that getting mine fitted and that was getting a back boiler taken out, new gas fire fitted and combi boiler re-routed to a different cupboard from where the water tank was.

I have a worcester bosch 25si in a 3 bedroom semi.
    Only problems I have had is heat exchanger needing replaced a few years ago and needed re-pressurised a few months back for the first time since I had it and done this myself with a bicycle pump.

Had it 8 years and it has been serviced once.
  • ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the current rented house we have Potterton Performa 28 boiler - rubbish. The hot water doesn't keep hot for long - you get bursts of very hot water and then freezing cold. They must have known it is rubbish, because the shower is electric, not fed from boiler (rubbish as well).

I can't remember what was the boiler we had in previous house, but that was fantastic. I think it was Ideal Classic. We could have run both showers at the same time (really powerful), and use any other water supply - no problem.
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • cowbutt
    cowbutt Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went with a Vaillant Ecotec 831 last autumn. Worcester Bosch was also a popular recommendation, but the installer I had reckoned Vaillant had the edge for reliability and longevity at the moment; a large part of this was down to the stainless steel heat exchanger, he reckoned. He was happy to supply and fit either, but as it turned out I was able to get it cheaper and with an extra year's warranty direct from vhsdirect.co.uk.
  • Urco
    Urco Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Ferrolli Combi - had it in my house for twenty years. A new selector switch cost £67 fitted, a water valve was repaired by me, and i replaced two small sensors, on the advice of a plumber friend, at £17. So BG can stick their £12 a month maintenance plan up their own gas pipe, if they still have one !! and leave me alone with my £2316 savings, teehee.
    TBH I am amazed it still functions so well, it's beaten two cookers, a washing machine a fridge, two freezers, at least twenty cars and vans, tellys, VCRs etc.
  • bobbyforeman
    Options
    c123 wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a central heating system & been advised that a Worcester Condensor would be good and will cost £3K to install fully - terrace hse 3 beds + attic. Any thoughts re if this is a good deal or what the Worcester is like please?

Just spent about that amount to have my 15 year old Potterton and Flowmax cylinder ripped out to be replaced with a new Worcester Bosch condensing boiler and Range Tribune unvented cylinder. New rad valves fitted all round but kept existing radiators and pipework. Had a power flush to clean out all the old sludge from pipes and radiators. Too new to comment on reliability but house feels much warmer and mains pressure hot water is fantastic.
  • ashburnham
    ashburnham Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to dig up an oldie...

I'm in the market for a new boiler at the moment so wanted to see what people are recommending. Is there any reason why no one has mentioned glow-worm boilers? They are the most well known brand (to me anyway who knows nothing about boilers).

No one has said anything good or bad, do I assume they are just "middle of the road" for reliability, price, etc?
  • lexie55_2
    lexie55_2 Posts: 775 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ashburnham wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an oldie...

I'm in the market for a new boiler at the moment so wanted to see what people are recommending. Is there any reason why no one has mentioned glow-worm boilers? They are the most well known brand (to me anyway who knows nothing about boilers).

No one has said anything good or bad, do I assume they are just "middle of the road" for reliability, price, etc?

Vaillant bought Glowworm a few years back
  • ashburnham
    ashburnham Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That kinda explains why then!!!

I told you I know nothing :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing