Baby steps to mortgage freedom for beanielou.

Options

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Impressive mortgage balance there Beanie. If you can't up the income how about a complete overhaul on the outgoings? There's normally a few pounds to be shaved here and there. Look at each DD going out and see if there's a way of making it cheaper.

I'm drawing out my grocery budget in cold hard cash now as it really makes me focus on just how much I can spend. I'm bulk buying at the beginning of the month (after checking where's cheapest) on things like cat food/tinned toms/pasta and then dividing up what's left for the amount of weeks. Our budget was £80 per week and I was spending it easily but since focusing more I've got it down to around £55.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,576 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good idea on food pennies Pooky
    I think I am currently finding a few extra trips to Aldi are mounting up.
    The other thing I need to look at is rather too many coffee's out creeping in.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Knowledge is power, beanie - for the mortgage, and for those coffees out - you know what Martin says about them! They're social time though, aren't they. Is there another way you could have that social time?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    Options
    Yes Karmcat that is the problem exactly.
    That is my social life as I very rarely go out in the evening.
    Not sure what the way forward is on that one.

Had an awesome day today with close & extended family.
    All 9 of us with only two missing.
    Not been all together since a wedding 7 years ago.
    Had a wonderful day.
    Sad I wont see some of them again for such a long time.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,477 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mortgage total sounds good Beanie, heading in the right direction. Even if you can't afford to overpay large amounts remember small amounts all add up. If you enjoy a coffee out, rather than cut it out could you go somewhere cheaper? For instance Pret's coffee is £1.85 (black Americano) and Costa's is £2.30 - and (dare I say it) Pret's is nicer!
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • beanielou
    Options
    I live in a small locale SA & we only have wee independents.

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Brilliant mortgage balance beanie and I like your decision to OP every month even if just a bit.

I am even finding one lodger a bit of a strain.. (I just need to adjust again after 6 months without one.) .but do know people with more. But in bigger houses which I think makes all the difference.
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • beanielou
    Options
    I don't have two spare rooms and I would never put myself in the position of having a couple again as it changes the dynamics way way too much.

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had lodgers for quite a few years in my centrally located 3 bed terrace house - a couple was in the next room, but she lived in the same town as we were in, so they weren't often there. The really powerful thing about that house is that it was on three floors, and I was on the top, I could never hear anything that was going on on the bottom floor, in the living room. But its no joke having a lodger, and at the moment, as I've been going on about, I'm desperate to have my house to myself.

Beanie, are you in an area where a Monday to Friday let would be feasible? Meaning you get the place to yourself most of the time. My niece is planning on that as a backup, if she gets into financial problems - she'll be near Gatwick Airport, and there are 3 month training courses run all the time, with the attendees being people who can't wait to get home at the weekend. Any good?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    Options
    Not in an area for Mon to Fri sadly.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback