Shares or ISA?

Options
I'm confused - I was hoping to invest a small amount of money in stocks & shares & looked at the website for advice. The Investment for Beginners page says investing in an ISA should always be the first port of call yet the Stocks & Shares ISA page says the ISA route is not the best option if your CGT is beneath the tax free threshold (which mine definitely is).

I feel like I'm going in circles.
Does anyone have advice on which page/advice to follow please?

TIA

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can see how that might be confusing. It depends on whether you are thinking long term really.

If you make an investment and hold it for 20 years it might well have gained more than the CGT limit and if you wanted to sell it all in one go then it would be better if it was in an ISA to avoid CGT. If you were selling more regularly then you could just sell enough to keep you under CGT. You would have some record keeping to do to prove this.
    Long term, an ISA is the way forward. It is simpler and avoids tax altogether.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    newbie18 wrote: »
    I'm confused - I was hoping to invest a small amount of money in stocks & shares & looked at the website for advice. The Investment for Beginners page says investing in an ISA should always be the first port of call yet the Stocks & Shares ISA page says the ISA route is not the best option if your CGT is beneath the tax free threshold (which mine definitely is).

I feel like I'm going in circles.
    Does anyone have advice on which page/advice to follow please?

TIA

I think that is poor advice, tax free dividends are IMO a much more important advantage than avoiding CGT, which can easily be avoided/mitagated outside of ISA's anyway.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have a small amount you want to invest in stocks and shares you would definitely be better doing it within a Stocks and Shares ISA as there is no tax to pay at all, and you can currently invest up to £20k in each tax year. The decision is then which platform/broker to invest through and which funds to invest in. If you are starting out you are best considering a global diversified low cost multi asset fund. There is lots of information on this forum and on sites like Monevator.
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    As said above, an ISA will protect dividends from tax, as well as protecting you from CGT.

You are best off with a collective fund such as an OEIC rather than stocks and shares. The latter requires much more research, and you must hold a portfolio (shares from many companies) in order to reduce the risk.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An ISA exempts the contained investments from both income tax and CGT. It also saves you from keeping detailed records to determine how much CGT is payable when you sell (or prove there is no CGT due).
    Outside of an ISA you can have £5000 of dividends this financial year with no tax to pay, but it's still taxable income and could increase your tax band. It's only £2000 in 20018/9 and a future Chancellor could reduce that even further.
    CGT applies to more than stocks and shares, you may find you want to sell in the same year as you made a taxable gain elsewhere, or you need to sell more than is covered by one year's allowance. In an ISA that doesn't matter.

There may be cases where you could use your ISA allowance more profitably with a different kind of ISA, but unless that applies, use an S&S ISA.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family