PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Funny how the weather varies ivyleaf . I'll be wearing a thick wool polo neck and my knee length craghopper coat while you're in a tshirt . Hope all goes well at the opticians . An eye test is on the to do list . I've been screwing my eyes up for months , only need reading glasses updated .

Restrain yourself mardatha it isn't the end of the world ! I hope sainsbugs count their drivers out and back in again at the end of shift .
    I may need to send the cat a strait jacket to throw on you at such times . If you haven't had your porridge do so now :D
    pollyx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mar I might remind you that I am not the norty one round here. That honour goes to others. Neither have I offended anyone, being incapable of offensive behaviour. I was brought up on my mother's favourite hymn.........
    "Be not swift to take offence,
    Only take a gate."

Also on my Aunt's favourite hymn.........
    "Oh, for a man.......
    Oh, for a man......
    Oh, for a mansion in the sky."

That's it for this morning. A friend has just rung to ask if I'm coming out to play, so I'll be out for a cheap lunch and, with a bit of luck, a mooch round Aldi.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well that's hopefully my daily crying with laughter episode over monna . You could be the new Peter Kay and cast off financial woes .
    Have a nice day out . x

Someones green light has gone out , the sugar cavalry must have arrived at last .

Well I must press on , really not feeling like going out but needs must .
    pollyx

ps I wonder if there is any actual food in mars order ?
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And I have been known to order bananas & shrimps in bulk from Am@zon - just an idea Mar, next day delivery and all that.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Oh my god. BULK SHRIMPS & BANANAS.... "hyperventilates" .. that would be seriously bad though. Because I have no willpower with sweeties, I am an addict. Seriously. I can't stop until the packet/tube/tub/trough is empty. But it is a lovely lovely thought...
    Polly I am shocked at you. Yea and hurt. Of course there is food on that order!!!
    Ice cream is food!
    Cat food is food!
    Trifle is food!
    But I might be telling fibs and my order might be totally boring and full of leeks and kale. ;)
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just had a grumble on The Money Savers Arms, which was the only thread I could find to try and discover if there is an official way to complain about an employee of Scottish Power phoning me at home and trying to persuade, then bully me into having a smart meter fitted. I told her that I was moving before the end of June, which I hope to be the case, then she said I could still have one fitted. When I told her I didn't want one, she replied that I have to have one, everyone is going to have to have one. I just said 'that's a lie, no one has to have one'.

She was still trying to make me have one when I hung up on her. The sad thing is that there are still vulnerable people who think they have to obey the voice of authority. The majority of smart meters are still not transferable to other companies and some have reported boiler malfunctions after the installation of a smart meter as soon as everything is switched back on. Others have said the meter is unreadable by a customer as there are so many different screens. I thought we had official bodies who watched out for this kind of thing?
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No idea why my message appears in two different fonts...?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think they can make us have them Charis and I'd have told her where to go if she had done that to me. Good for you for not being bullied!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pollyanna It's not warm enough for a t-shirt generally, it's just that the optician's is always overheated :) Eye test went fine, not worth buying more new glasses (thank goodness) because it's the cataract that causing the problem and I'm waiting (and waiting) to have it sorted.
    That reminds me Hester, have you got anywhere with trying to get yours sorted?

nursemaggie Are you all right? I was a bit concerned when you didn't post yesterday. Thinking of you x
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I don't think they can make us have them Charis and I'd have told her where to go if she had done that to me. Good for you for not being bullied!
    Pardon me for butting into this thread, I often lurk but don't post. But I had to comment here.

No, Smart Meters are categorically NOT compulsory.
    Take a look at Post #34 on this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5785383&page=2

Malc, the E-ON rep on this forum says:
    "To confirm, smart meters are optional and customers can refuse any offer to have them put in."
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback