Fault with Laptop outside warranty period

Options

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, you are asking for the wrong remedy. JL warrant all their electronics for 2 years, so since that has already expired and presumably the manufacturer's warranty has also (probably only one year on a Lenovo), you've reached the end of the line with that approach. So you need to be claiming your statutory rights under CRA 2015. if you tell JL CS that, then you may get a different response. If you asked for a warranty repair then they quite rightly rejected it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Marania
    Marania Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes it would, and they will probably charge for this service, getting 2 yrs out of a laptop without any issues is good going. There are 3 things i would look at 1st

a. heat are the fans still spinning and cooling the machine
    b. the graphics card
    c. the cable from lid to motherboard located by the hinge

probably easier to buy a new one

This was Lenovo's flagship 2-in-1 convertible laptops at the time of purchase. I paid £1400 for it. In my view it should last a lot longer than 2 years.
    I'll get my local computer repair shop to prepare a report.
  • Marania
    Options
    Dalston wrote: »
    I bought a MacBook Pro from Amazon which had a one year guarantee. 2 months after the guarantee ran out, the SSD broke. I wrote to Amazon and quoted the consumer law and they took my broken laptop back and gave me a full refund. I paid for fast delivery too when I bought it and that payment was also refunded to me :)

Apple has some info on their website about consumer law too. I tried to post a link to some info but I'm not allowed... being a newbie

Thank you all for the pointers.
    I intend to follow the steps below:
    1. Get an independent report from my local computer repair shop (hopefully highlighting that the fault was inherent)
    2. Start with John Lewis's Customer Service
    3. If Customer Service reject my claim, then will write to the Head Office
    4. If still no satisfactory reply, will use Resolver free servcie to make a complaint

Would you add somethign else to the above list?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Marania wrote: »
    This was Lenovo's flagship 2-in-1 convertible laptops at the time of purchase. I paid £1400 for it. In my view it should last a lot longer than 2 years.
    I'll get my local computer repair shop to prepare a report.

I would try writing first before you go to that expense.

It worked for us a couple of years ago.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Dalston wrote: »
    I bought a MacBook Pro from Amazon which had a one year guarantee. 2 months after the guarantee ran out, the SSD broke. I wrote to Amazon and quoted the consumer law and they took my broken laptop back and gave me a full refund.

However, it's worth pointing out that what Amazon did went well beyond what any consumer laws required of them.
    Until you proved that the fault was due to a manufacturing defect they were under no obligation to provide a remedy and if they asked for this proof and you supplied it, they could have opted to give you a partial refund.
  • Marania
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    I would try writing first before you go to that expense.

It worked for us a couple of years ago.

Was that John Lewis's HQ you wrote to?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    Options
    Marania wrote: »
    Was that John Lewis's HQ you wrote to?

Yes it was.

We addressed it to 'Customer Complaints' if I remember correctly.

The store refused to do anything so we wrote to them and they did repair it in the end.

It was a while ago so I cannot remember if we sent it off, they collected it or we took it back into the store.

It was delivered direct back to us .
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    My laptop is fine and is over 2yrs old i have never had any issues with it i try to look after it and try to keep it running cool n clean.
    2yrs without issue is my opinion of which i am allowed to voice, however some people are not so lucky for example they buy cheap n nasty laptops from ** world not that the op has done this.

some reading for all you guru's

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jan/13/lifespan-laptop-pc-planned-obsolescence

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/average-lifespan-laptops-71292.html

https://techguided.com/how-long-should-a-laptop-last/

So i stand by my opinion of 2yrs without issue is good going this includes both hardware and software and keeping things upto date or attempting to get a win7 laptop to run win10 smoothly sooner or later your going to have issues
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So i stand by my opinion of 2yrs without issue is good going this includes both hardware and software and keeping things upto date or attempting to get a win7 laptop to run win10 smoothly sooner or later your going to have issues

There is no reason you should expect issues with a laptop until the hardware starts to get old and creaky and at 2 years the laptop should still be like new !

Your opinion is ridiculas(sp?)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Yes but many ignorant users ugger it up with software .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure